truespace is a great horde3d asset creation tool!

Game Engines, Projects and more
garcia
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

truespace is a great horde3d asset creation tool!

Post by garcia »

I've been looking at horde3d on and off for a few years, and starting to get more serious with it.
It uses a custom format which COLLADA 1.4 is used as the intermediate format, which is good and bad.
I tried using assimp and the 2013 autodesk FBX/COLLADA converter to get a working .dae file, but surprisingly TrueSpace7.61 Beta 8 Standalone exports .dae that works pretty well with it :) :bananalove:
Attachments
in game
in game
export
export
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: truespace is a great horde3d asset creation tool!

Post by bitkar »

good to know, thanks.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
garcia
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: truespace is a great horde3d asset creation tool!

Post by garcia »

bitkar wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 10:06 good to know, thanks.
No problems.

I posted this after testing a lot of things and I was mixing up a lot of things to get it to work :/
Sadly it's not 100% compatible, but very close.

I restarted from scratch, with TS 7.61 full beta this time and it works fine also.

Basically, in my limited testing, TS out puts the model and animation fine, the textures the horde3d converter doesn't understand, it's exported not as library images, but as library effects/shaders, as per TS's materials, FYI, assimp seems to understand them and it converts them to library image.
TMK, the TS .dae exporter doesn't export the texture images, but the .x exporter does, so first do a .x export to get your images (if required) then export the .dae, idealy with the same settings.

Next, figure out the H3D asset converter, ie: http://horde3d.org/docs/html/_contentpipe.html
Create both model and anim, it will create a model folder in your target directory (ie models/Horse) when I do it, it always creates a .material.xml with the model, but because of above, it's not correctly populated.
Just manually populate it, ie:
<Material>
<Shader source="shaders/model.shader"/>
<ShaderFlag name="_F01_Skinning" />

<Sampler name="albedoMap" map="models/Horse/col.jpg" />
<Sampler name="normalMap" map="models/Horse/norm.jpg" />
</Material>

Note, all files must be pre qualified with unix paths and must include folders from the base (ie models).
Copy your images to the model folder and that's it, it will load with textures and animate.

If it didn't create the .material.xml open your model .scene.xml file and on the last line..
<Mesh name="model-name-controller" material=".material.xml" batchStart="0" batchCount="17076" vertRStart="0" vertREnd="3254" />
</Model>
add or fix the name for the material value (unix full base path), ie:
material="models/Horse/material_0.material.xml"
Don't touch anything else!

If you have more complicated materials (textures/shaders) read through the shader you specify on the material (ie shaders/model.shader) and doc is here: http://horde3d.org/docs/html/_formats.html
ie: to use normals you need to have:
<ShaderFlag name="_F02_NormalMapping" />
In the material xml.

The full docs are here.
http://horde3d.org/docs/manual.html

Here is the horse and it's converted files.
TS-Horse-To-Horde3d.zip
(763.22 KiB) Downloaded 59 times