Truespace after October?

Kenc3
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Truespace after October?

Post by Kenc3 »

I noticed that there are many sites who say they dwonload truespace. Does this mean that they will also cease to download after October or will they still be there. What about the older versions? Will they be abvailable from those sites also?
Just wondering. I know that there is a lot of old software available for download in Internetland.(New word) :bananatyping:
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Truespace after October?

Post by theuns »

which site are those Kan? i haven't seen any yet, but then i haven't looked for it either...
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by First Light »

Hi Kenc3,

With the exception of peer-to-peer bittorrent sites, I haven't seen any other websites where trueSpace can be downloaded. It is illegal to host trueSpace for download (this includes bittorrents) because Microsoft and Caligari have not released any distribution rights to trueSpace, trueServe, the trueSpace SDK or the training courses. There is just one exception: they have released the distribution rights to truePlay so we can give it away freely.

Also, it is illegal to distribute any version of trueSpace before 7.61. Years ago, Caligari used to continue to make older copies of trueSpace available after a new one came out. But they changed this policy a while back and stopped the practice. Since then, whenever a new version of trueSpace was released, the distribution of all prior versions to new users was stopped. The only version of trueSpace that can be legally downloaded today is trueSpace 7.61 and trueSpace 7.61 Standard.

We need to remember that Caligari's software license agreement only gives us an unlimited right to use the software---we have no right to distribute it. This is true even though the program is now free. Microsoft and Caligari still own all copyrights to all versions and can decide how and when trueSpace can be distributed.

If the Caligari website goes dark in October as expected, and Microsoft/Caligari do not give someone else the right to distribute trueSpace, then it will no longer be available to new users. The same is true for the training courses, trueServe and the trueSpace SDK. If this happens, I hope that they will give tSCommunity/United3DArtists permission to distribute the programs and training courses. But this is just my wishful thinking---we have no indication that they are even considering it.

If the Caligari website goes dark and the trueSpace distribution rights are not released, it would be interesting to see what would happen if someone did decide to make trueSpace available for download on a website anyway. Would Microsoft take action?

Best regards, First Light
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Prohibit something free and unused by a company have no sense for many people.
After 5 million downloads of TS, it will be impossible to monitor all illegal links. I've seen several link on internet and when no longer possible to download legally TS, there will be illegal link everywhere because the risk is less with a free Soft. It's too late now to change.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

The smartest thing Roman can do is buy a Server to allow continued
access to trueSpace, tutorials and Gallery. I believe he will shut down the
Forums since United3DArtists has been started and monitored. This would keep
trueSpace alive for the new 3D user.
We shall see soon...
Kenc3
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Kenc3 »

Guess we will just have to wait and see what they are going to do. Micosoft seems to be run by money and that is their motivation for shutting it down. Later they can sell it to everyone and make a profit. That seems to be the way they operate.
:(
Benji
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Benji »

I'm not sure this is a big deal one way or the other, as I highly doubt new users are going to have much interest in necroware. I paid for 7.5 and frankly I have very little interest in it anymore.

If we could wind the clock back to 6.6 and have a do over, maybe this would at least bring back some of the old-school users that were part of the mass exodus during the vray and collaboration fiasco. Newspace had it's chance, I think a return to the days when truespace was at it's peak might make some future for ts plausible.

As it stands, truespace 7.* is really only for the few that genuinely took to it, and I don't think that's enough to keep this community going for very long. I know I'll get accused of being negative, but that's not my intent, it's just the way I see things. :|
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

I guess the thing to remember Benji is that many of us are already talking quite openly about using other products to either replace elements of TS functionality or to simply add them to the pipeline.

Eg.... I have purchased a 3d coat license as I like what I see in the Voxel sculping tuts....

Next for me may well be Carrara 7 Pro and Vue..... depends on how many rich relatives I didn't know I had showing up .....

The thing about computers is they are wires and chips... the thing that makes them interesting is the people using them.

I do hope this forum survives because the one thing that made TS interesting was the people who were part of the equation. I plan on doing what I can to make this site thrive. I would really like to see you here to help it as well.
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by theuns »

[quote="Benji"]I'm not sure this is a big deal one way or the other, as I highly doubt new users are going to have much interest in necroware. I paid for 7.5 and frankly I have very little interest in it anymore.

If we could wind the clock back to 6.6 and have a do over, maybe this would at least bring back some of the old-school users that were part of the mass exodus during the vray and collaboration fiasco. Newspace had it's chance, I think a return to the days when truespace was at it's peak might make some future for ts plausible.

As it stands, truespace 7.* is really only for the few that genuinely took to it, and I don't think that's enough to keep this community going for very long. I know I'll get accused of being negative, but that's not my intent, it's just the way I see things. :|[/quote]

I disagree Benji... there is very little difference between 6.6 and 7.x model side. You turn of the bridge and you basically have a more stable 6.6.

I didn't buy trueSpace for what it would offer in the future, I bought it because I loved the interface and found it easy to work with. Nothing has changed, I still do, so I will continue to use trueSpace for a long time to come, and so would many others who currently use it.

That said, the community WILL continue for a VERY long time to come...
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I keep reading that users moved on after TS 6.6. Well the facts are
users moved on after 2.0 and 3.0 and 4.3 etc etc. It is the nature of the beast.
We bought trueSpace because it was fairly easy to get our feet wet. A comfortable
graphical interface with instant feedback as you worked. The tools were useful but lacked
complexity. Roman seemed to aim for new ideas rather then completed
ideas. Nothing ever was "finished"
To a new user that was enough.
What Roman didn't complete the Plug-in developers finished.
The market in 3D is unique and a very small percentage of Artist involved. To make a living with
the amount of time you needed to dedicate wasn't worth it. Some moved on to other software,
others got into Photography, some left because Roman wouldn't listen to them, and others just simply left 3D.

So learn as much as you can with what ever you can afford.
For me there is a lot trueSpace can still offer.