Unreal free??

Game Engines, Projects and more
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Unreal free??

Post by clintonman »

Unreal Developer Kit. Probably not free for commercial purposes but still...

http://www.udk.com/news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Unreal free??

Post by v3rd3 »

Wowzers..... I am sure this is just the kit... license to distribute will still be a pretty penny I am sure...

but this is nice to have in the drawer... lol
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Holy cow.... I just read the licensing stuff... basically it is pay as you go.... you can develop a game and not pay anything until you actually sell it at which time you need the commercial license... but nothing down to develop the game....

UNREAL!!!!!!

Now the hard choices are Unity, DarkBasic or Unreal!!!!
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

What is happening to game development products? :shock:
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

I think it is the beginning of the end for game development for the PC platform.

Game companies all want to get on the console market to push the subscription service based games like WoW. For example, Infinity Ward will not be including dedicated server technology in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. As a result internet multiplayer games will have to route through their server system.

When this rolls out there will be no mod community for MW2 as the ability to deploy for players will not exist. Gaming clans on a global basis have organized a boycott of MW2 for this reason.

Epic, by releasing the development kit now are essentially allowing indie developers and modders to get a chance to join their club so when the PC game market dies its slow painful death these creative folks will be able to write console games that generate revenue for Epic.

I think when Valve and the other big players figure this manoever out we will see even more of the high end game engines embrace this concept.

The big revenue in the future will not come from creating the next great game but in getting the players to play the game from your server. Sorta like water.... water is free, clean water costs money but what people will pay for is the pipe that brings it to their kitchen....
DanX
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by DanX »

Crap !

Need PC development :(

So join in please . :bananamad: No more consoles! :bananamad: No more consoles! :bananamad: No more consoles! :bananamad: No more consoles!
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

World is facing a hard time, all-in-one or one for all? Of course a one for all should do thing better than an all-in-one but an AIO should be more practical, anyway I like PC games...

Cya
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
3dvisuals dude
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by 3dvisuals dude »

v3rd3 wrote:I think it is the beginning of the end for game development for the PC platform.

Game companies all want to get on the console market to push the subscription service based games like WoW. For example, Infinity Ward will not be including dedicated server technology in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. As a result internet multiplayer games will have to route through their server system.

When this rolls out there will be no mod community for MW2 as the ability to deploy for players will not exist. Gaming clans on a global basis have organized a boycott of MW2 for this reason.

Epic, by releasing the development kit now are essentially allowing indie developers and modders to get a chance to join their club so when the PC game market dies its slow painful death these creative folks will be able to write console games that generate revenue for Epic.

I think when Valve and the other big players figure this manoever out we will see even more of the high end game engines embrace this concept.

The big revenue in the future will not come from creating the next great game but in getting the players to play the game from your server. Sorta like water.... water is free, clean water costs money but what people will pay for is the pipe that brings it to their kitchen....
Outstanding analysis v3rd3, I see it that way too. ;)
Image "Advantage is had from whatever is there, but usefulness arises from whatever is not." - Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching - 500 BC) Image
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

One tries to avoid disappointing the fans... :D :D :D
Benji
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Benji »

The demise of the PC as a gaming platform has been mooted since I first played sonic the hedgehog.

Basically, a few companies have become big poopy pants about the PC because Blizzard is taking all of their revenue. Basically, old-school shooters are on the nose on the PC, and consoles are seen as a better bet for these games. They are also cheaper to develop for and more difficult to pirate.

Outside of this, RPG's, MMO's and RTS type games still flourish on the PC, and I'm sure shooters will get their turn on consoles, too, once Blizzard or someone else figures out how to get the MMO's into the console market (assuming it wants to).

I stopped playing shooters on the PC (mostly) a long time ago. I'm not alone. Many guys I know still play old schoolers like CS, if they do play them (but I'm sure MW2 will get a run). It's not really a fun time to be making these types of games on PC. This still doesn't stop people making them.......

And also, you'll find the no server deal with MW2 is more about controlling the delivery of their product (i.e averting software piracy) than a sign that they think the game won't be successful. It will be, despite the decline of the PC as a shooter platform, but perhaps not to the same levels of yesteryear. Blizzard are doing this too with Starcraft 2, and I don't hear anyone saying that this won't be anything other than a major hit on the PC.

Back OT: Holy crap, I can now make games with the U3 engine....... :bananacheers: