Translating TS effects into D3D

Game Engines, Projects and more
davoy9
Seaman Recruit

Translating TS effects into D3D

Post by davoy9 »

Trying to use TS to create models for D3D/XNA. No physics, no bones, just rigid models with "interesting" effects.

Is it generally possible to export/translate a model with effects that render in DX to get the identical result in D3D code?

For example, create a simple model such as cube. Drop an interesting texture on it, such as Checkers. Make a few changes. It looks good.

Is there a step-by-step process to recreate that same model and effect in D3D code?
Normal sig will be resumed shortly.
tamtam
Petty Officer First Class

Re: Translating TS effects into D3D

Post by tamtam »

@davoy9
Is it generally possible to export/translate a model with effects that render in DX to get the identical result in D3D code?

For example, create a simple model such as cube. Drop an interesting texture on it, such as Checkers. Make a few changes. It looks good.
I think the model side of TS has something called "Bake Texture From Illumination", so then you could make a model with a texture or material, probably even if it's not UV mapped, if you want it that way, and press that button that's called Bake Texture From Illumination. It's under the model side rendering menu buttons, if i'm correct. That will only make a flat texture from the objects lighting around it, and of course the materials/UV maps too. I don't know anything about D3D or XNA programming, so you could possibly try other forums that help with those programming parts if you wanted to learn more about the formats D3D and XNA uses and supports, and you could ask at those other forums too, for more assistance on wheather the material will be imported automatically into your program, or if your materials generated from TS's model side "Bake Texture From Illumination" button will need extra programming or not. I'm no programming pro, but I was just telling you about that button in TS's model side just in case you didn't know about it. I thought it might help a little too.

I want to help you more , but i'm afraid Truepace doesn't have a full programming language to my knowledge, but maybe someone else could give you more help if you are using the Script Editor for making your materials on the Workspace side of TS. I don't even know how to use the script editor, that's why I hope someone else could lead you in the right direction, besides me just saying "use the 'Bake Texture From Illumination' button"

I know on my computer with TS, I have the "GamePak" somewhere, and that made the model side able to export/import more formats geared towards 3d games, and i'm sorry to say that I don't think it's sold anymore.

I hope I helped at least a little.
davoy9
Seaman Recruit

Post by davoy9 »

Thanks for the tip. Certainly that can help, but it means the light direcion is also baked in.

Seems my problem is mostly about shaders, and I'm trying to do things most other people are not. Frustrating.
Cayenne
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Cayenne »

if your using workspace and are using dxshaders along with your own hlsl scripts , then there is no straight conversion , if you write a shader in tS then you'd need to re-write it in the hlsl format or .fx file that xna and etc will understand.

I dont know if someone could write a *.fx parser or interpreter for using/importing or exporting straight *.fx files.
davoy9
Seaman Recruit

Post by davoy9 »

At this stage I'm prepared to consider any kind of workflow to achieve wothwhile results. The aim is simply to be able to use an artist tool (such as TS) to design simple objects with striking visual effects, and then use dev tools to translate those effects into code & assets for XNA (or similar DX platform). Artists can't write shaders and devs can't do art.

Seems to me that if Microsoft wants serious uptake of XNA amongst indie devs, this is a problem that needs to be solved urgently.
noko
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by noko »

pava would be the best person to ask I would think. He went the other way, from DX code to tS code successfully. Going the other way should be possible but not automatic. You can quickly develope a shader in tS, view it and tweak it, a full compliment of DX 9 bricks are available then once it is working how you like then one would have to convert that over. The thing about tS is complex relationships can be so easily be added and tried for a shader, previous bricks reused as needed and modified that really XNA should convert over to tS method. Just wished tS was DX11 with compute shader, multiple threads etc. then it would be unstoppable.