OK ??? Sooo What happened ???

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: OK ??? Sooo What happened ???

Post by Finis »

Didn't think about the credit card security issue when thinking about passwords. I think that my host (Midphase) has separate logins for financial stuff and for cpanel (a control panel for doing hosting stuff like backups). It's been a while since I logged in to that so I'm not sure. Still eventually in a disaster someone would have to have access to the account where the CC info. is. Then there is the domain name owner's account with a registrar. CC info. there too.

Give your wife the info. That way in case of tree disasters she can arrange for someone to take the helm.

Most hosts (like Hostgator) have some kind of backup system available. They make their own backups (which might serve in a disaster) but I mean one you can do yourself and download for an off-host backup. Backups are on cpanel on my sites' host but I also recently had trouble extracting one of the archives it made. Test to be sure everything is working if you get backups going.

You could ask about multiple people being in charge of stuff so that each has his own private credit card access. Then several people could have all powers to manage U3DA without CC issues. Unlikely such multi-manager accounts are available on these cheap hosting deals.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Well, it sounds like the hosting and web space are paid for, up til May 21 2014.
Thank you again Augusto and Steinie. :worship: :worship: :worship: :bananacheers:

Come May 21 2014, the dues will need to be paid again. So, I suppose it remains
to be seen whether there will be value in retaining the site beyond that date.
I certainly hope so! Because after all, it isn't just for trueSpace. :ugeek:

So, yes, we need to discuss how to handle that transaction, by email would
probably be best. I have not yet gone through this process so am not sure
of the steps involved.
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Realistically the issue is being able to transfer the domain name and hosting to another party and there is a documentation requirement for that as well as access to the hosting control account.

I am going through hell and hand grenades transferring a godaddy domain to someone else. It is a protected domain using domainsbyproxy... tons of crap trying to get it done.

U3DA does not have any corporate stuff to take care of so the process should be a lot easier.

The initiation of a domain transfer will have to be started from Steinie's account for either ISP (its just a menu option to start a transfer) so someone close will have to have the instructions on how to transfer the domain and the contacts among us who would set up to receive.

As long as we don't incorporate we should be able to follow the path of least resistance.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Well, I'm glad we're back too, I was really surprised to see it was gone. :)

Pheww..
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

anyway in case of some end of world... our backup place will be the IRC truespace channel on galaxynet, ok? :) There we can regroup and make further steps. We should have some plan B in case this forum will die in any reason.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Just spotted this thread. Not been here in a long time, but remember TS fondly and still used it until last year.
Buddyworld only live on in eBook format and I moved on to Solidworks for industrial work. Im not an educational consultant providing training in a range of 3D CAD software.
Good to see some old names still here :-)
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

hey Splinters, thanks for droping by. ;)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)