Booleans: Yes? No? Maybe so?

Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Booleans: Yes? No? Maybe so?

Post by Galane »

You need the full version download of 7.6 or 7.6.1, not the Workspace only download that's smaller. The full version can use most 6.x compatible TSX plugins in its TS6 mode.

If you can lay hands on 6.6, there's quite a lot of stuff updated and added to what 6.0 had.
Dennis Leahy
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by Dennis Leahy »

Galane wrote:You need the full version download of 7.6 or 7.6.1, not the Workspace only download that's smaller. The full version can use most 6.x compatible TSX plugins in its TS6 mode.

If you can lay hands on 6.6, there's quite a lot of stuff updated and added to what 6.0 had.
I downloaded ts761b8.exe, 129,759kb. Now that I looked (jeez, how obvious), I see the trueSpace6 tab.

Obviously, there are a bunch of folks that feel that 6.6 was the pinnacle of ts development, and they don't like what happened in 7.6x, and they plan to stick with 6.6. On the other hand, there are bunch of folks here that did make that leap, and are using 7.6x. I'd like to give 7.61 a shot, rather than having to learn 2 more versions that are both different than 6.0 was. I can also tell you, and maybe it is because I am a software developer that understood the power of accepting some paradigm for a user interface, I have always hated trueSpace's interface incarnations - from the earliest version I ever ran (I think it may have been 1.0.) I always felt like Roman was simply stubbornly not acquiescing to any software development standards - cutting off our noses to spite his face. I'd hate to have to learn 2 versions of ts that are new to me.

Oops, sorry for the rant. Got lost on a tangent.

But anyway, I'd love to see the sample you created.

Dennis
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Galane »

OK here it is in tS 7.61 format. I just clicked on the Model tab and used the TS6 files menu to load it then the other menu to save it as an rsobj.

The image was done in 6.6. I cut the top off and did a little coloring to show the uniform wall thickness the shell feature provides. Scaling down a copy evenly can't do that with odd-shaped objects. You can fudge it by scaling different amounts on each axis but it still won't be that even.
shelled shape.jpg
Shelled Shape.zip
(20.15 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Dennis Leahy
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by Dennis Leahy »

Thanks, Galane!

In CAD software, it is pretty easy to create the guitar body outer shape, then create a line .080" away from the original line, yielding the inside and outside lines of an acoustic guitar body. That can then be extruded in either the same CAD application or in trueSpace. The next step is what I was asking about. The sides of an acoustic guitar not only undulate, but the width of the sides (depth of the guitar) varies depending on where the side intersects the dome that forms the top and back of a guitar. I tried creating a hollow thick-walled sphere, and placing it to intersect the guitar sides, and attempted a Boolean subtraction of the sphere from the guitar sides. trueSpace crashed, or locked-up, or gave an error (can't remember.) So, I was just wondering if any of you 3D artists had tried Booleans before and were disappointed, and were able to jump for joy that maybe 7.61 can handle Boolean functions now with ease. I can and I will experiment, but just wanted to hear if there was a breakthrough in Boolean functionality since tS v6.0.

Dennis
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

No breakthrough as far as I know in "ANY" polygon modeler although there is some progress in the last version of Max.
If modeling with cutting and booleans is your thing you can try Moi3d.... thats what I did.
As this thing is nurbs you get 100 % clean cuts and booleans - always - no exceptions.
same as with any other up to Solid thinking.
There is a trial one that you can save for 30 days and one that is save disabled with no limits.
I do 60 % of my modeling with it the rest i also use Sketchup for buildings.....
At least if you can go to the fgorum as a guest and look at all the posts and examples you will learn to understand the
issues.... there are very helpfull people there too and lots of examples.
Polygon modeling and sds is cool for characterwork and organic !
Attachments
shape.jpg
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

If the question is tS7.61 Boolean subtraction of the sphere better in workSpace
then on the Modeler side the answer is YES. Much better.
Modeler always seemed to crash on me. Not so on the workSpace side.
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Galane »

Does the workspace side have a shell feature? Could model the body as a solid then shell it *then* use really thin cubes to cut the top and bottom off the body, if you're wanting to more realistically model the guitar.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

The shell feature only works if the wallthickness is the same all around..... if its not you dependant on boolean tools...
Here is a car that was made with the cutting method in Solidthinking (price out of reach of most) and shows how it can be made.
Note that this modeler is parametric and you can even change the cut you made many steps after you made them....
Moi 3d doesnt do that (not yet) but thats why parametric modelers are that much more expensive. ;)