UV Cow

Technical questions, etc..
WickedWitchOfTheWeb
Petty Officer Second Class

UV Cow

Post by WickedWitchOfTheWeb »

I did post this is the 6.6 section but just in case it's more relevant here as it does relate to tS7:

Does anyone have any tips for working with UV Cow in Model side? I've got the Bridge turned off but it, and tS, is crashing way more than it should. I last used it in 6.6 and I remember it would sometimes crash but not like this.

If anyone has any nugget of info to help I'd really appreciate hearing it. I'm getting close to re-installing 6.6 as well to be able to finish this but that seems slightly overkill if there's a simpler solution.

Thanks in advance
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: UV Cow

Post by trueBlue »

I did a search on this Forum and found this:
http://www.spacekdet.com/tutorials/uv_cow_tut/
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Sorry, I think you've missed what I mean - I know how to use it but it crashes like crazy in in 7.6 What I'm looking for is if anyone has had any luck getting it to run without crashing every twenty seconds or will I have to install tS6 and use it within that instead.
stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by stan »

uvcow.jpg
I tried u/v cow for ts5 in ts76.1b on win7 pro 64bit it works ..mind you I just put up a cube and added a few textures, moved them around a little.. With the problems you seem to be having I wonder if ts6 would work or give errors too..
Just tried it on win10 pro 64bit and it works no crashes..so did the magnet tool.
cow.jpg
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Hmm. Also Win 10 64bit. I guess it's just not liking a more complex mesh. I'm not having a problem with simple primitives either. Anything getting complex and it crashes with access violation popups and then dies. Thanks for having a look though. Not sure how to get round this one.
stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by stan »

you could post your object or scene to see if it will crash on some else's truespace.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

WickedWitchOfTheWeb wrote: 12 May 2020, 00:05 Hmm. Also Win 10 64bit. I guess it's just not liking a more complex mesh. I'm not having a problem with simple primitives either. Anything getting complex and it crashes with access violation popups and then dies. Thanks for having a look though. Not sure how to get round this one.
Dare eye say? :mrgreen:
You could try Workspace's UV Editor. It was rewritten from the ground up.
UV Editor.jpg
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

I didn't know it had one! I'll have a look. Thanks!
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Seem to have solved the problem. Had a look at model in the Workspace UV editor. I couldn't find easy 'split by material' or similar functions so popped back to Model side and UV Cow behaved perfectly.

Any mesh that was causing problems - if opened in Workspace and UV map applied there, then go back to Model side and it seems to fix whatever was causing UV Cow to crash.

I've missed this!!
WickedWitchOfTheWeb

Further update as it may help others in the future: Been experimenting further and it seems that the problems only occur when the mesh being used in on a layer other than the base/basic one. Had a simple piece but UV Cow would crash without fail, taking tS with it. Changed the object to the base layer and everything works exactly as expected.

Of course, only time will tell if this was just a fluke but it worked smoothly enough for long enough to make me thing this is the answer.