Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by Finis »

Y'all get me this for my birthday, ha ha ha. https://www.microcenter.com/site/conten ... dd18ab1c24
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Edit: This video of motion capture and water simulation in Blender 2.8x has been replaced. See later post for the new one.
Last edited by Finis on 14 Mar 2020, 03:53, edited 3 times in total.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

NOTE: Revised and simplified on March 10.

Blender 2.82 has a new fluid simulation. It replaces the old one and does liquid, gas, smoke, and fire. It implements the FLIP method for fluid simulation. I'm experimenting with it and learning. You can see the awesome abilities in the videos people have made.

GENERAL

The FLIP system uses particles to simulate fluid. A mesh is generated from the particles and that is what is rendered. There are also effectors which are static obstacles or things that move in and effect the fluid. Extra sets of particles for spray, foam, and bubbles are options as well.

OBSERVATIONS

-- I have not tried the gas/smoke/fire abilities.
-- The system can produce realistic liquid as well as a variety of FX. It does high viscosity fluids well.
-- The settings are numerous and complex. The documentation and tutorials so far leave much mystery about what what the settings do or how to properly use them.
-- There is no live preview as it runs.
-- It is slow. Each of the main types of things must be baked. Bake the fluid particles then bake the mesh. Effectors have their own bake as do the extra particles. CPU based. Large numbers of particles are needed for good results.
-- You can pause and resume baking. This allows checking on progress and interrupting the bake without losing the work already done.
-- Be sure to 'apply' the rotation and scale of all the objects participating in a simulation. Domain, effectors, fluid geometry or in/out flow objects. This is a good practice for other Blender simulations also.
-- I had a problem with Nvidia graphics driver crashes while running the sim. This happened at other times also. Reverting to an earlier driver version fixed that.

Given the time needed to produce results, learning by trial and error is not practical. I'll wait until more information is available to use this.
Last edited by Finis on 11 Mar 2020, 01:20, edited 3 times in total.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

2.82 has Mantaflow! Flipfluid is a payed addon!
Yup powerfull! :mrgreen:
Seen some amazing stuff coming out of it!
:geek:
Mantaflow uses flip technique just like the other big softwarehouses Houdini included but as far as I know the workflow is different!
https://flipfluids.com/

https://youtu.be/_4Hsu8K3L54
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

https://vimeo.com/splododyne/hairwaterstudy

The water took 8.66 hours for the flip fluid simulation to bake on my FX 8320. The documentation and tutorials aren't developed enough yet in my opinion. I'll wait for better info. about this sim before using it.

See video descriptions for more info.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Hair in a cycles render. Principled hair shader. Eyebrows and eyelashes next.

PortraitTwo.jpg
PortraitOne.jpg
PortraitThree.jpg
This thread has over 40,000 views.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

UPDATE: April 26, 2020 Annnnnd there are no computer techs of known good reputation in town. The nearest other town is Las Cruces. 60 miles/96.5Km away. Many computer tech places there and a university town with tech savvy students to work in them. My 430,000+ mile truck is unlikely to get there and back. I'll ask a friend if he will loan me a car. Have to verify that those places are open first.

UPDATE: April 25, 2020 No luck installing it or finding useful information on the web. I'll take the advice I gave SeppGrity and have a professional determine what is wrong. If there are none open due to kooties I'll wait. Win8.1 working fine, no hurry.

ORIGINAL POST:
Installing windows 10 pro. The full thing. Not update. Not oem. All day I've been trying to install it.

I have two HD's. One with win8.1 pro and another one mostly empty. I want win8 as is on its disk and a fresh completely new install of win10 on the other disk.

I backed up the files files from the second HD, unplugged the win8 HD to ensure no attempt to upgrade that, and unplugged the internet cable because I read that would force it let me make a local account. Boot from win10 usb stick. The minimal instructions say booting from the stick is the way to do a full install. Over 2.5 hours later the "installing files" progress bar showed no progress. Shutdown. Restart. The progress bar shows some work done but never moves. Do that again. Press F8 for options. No options goes to the now more full progress bar followed by nothing happening. Never would leave the progress bar screen. Never would show options.

So I plug in the win8 HD and reboot. I followed the minimal instructions to use startup.exe from the usb stick.That's intended for installing over an existing windows version, upgrade, which I don't want. Thought there would be several options like the old days including to format, choose the disk, full install or upgrade. There were a few choices on the screens but little control or information about what it was going to do. It said there was no driver installed for my video card and I would have trouble seeing stuff when win10 installed. At one point I could not be sure if proceeding would show me options or upgrade win8. So that route is off limits now.

While I was on with win8 I saw that it had not formatted the second disk and no evidence of any files installed.

I reconfigured for full install and plugged the internet cable in so it could get the driver it wants. Same thing as before. Never ending "installing files". I put in the 1060 video card (which I will sell on Ebay) in case it could use that. Same results.

There is very little information in the papers that came with it. Just "follow the onscreen instructions". I'll surf the web now for info.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I installed windows 10 pro without going to Las Cruces for professional help. I used a friend's computer to install it on my HD. When I put the HD in my computer and booted with win10 it said it was fixing a disk. That's the other HD with win8.1 pro. Now I can boot with win8 or win10 by changing the boot device order in the bios. Success. That is what I wanted.

Now to install my programs for win10. First my foil hat level security and privacy things. Especially SpyBot anti-beacon since win10 is very snoopy. I'll have to uninstall some things from win8 first due to licensing.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The win 10 saga continues. Seemed good. Win 10 on one HD and win 8 on another. Too good to be true. There was no way for me to tell the win 10 install what drive letter to use. Both operating systems think they are on drive C: and assign a different letter to the other HD. When either is booted it fixes drive errors. Well, they fixed each other until neither worked. Inaccessible. No boot.

I installed win 10 again with my friend's computer as in previous post. I'll give up being able to boot with win 8. That was for temporary use while moving to win 10 and disaster fail safe. I just want my files now. I have a backup but I think some aren't on there. No huge loss but I want the option to get any of the old stuff. I did restore browser bookmarks and email with backups.

Now, booting with win 10, the win 8 + files HD is sort of inaccessible. It can't be accessed with windows explorer to find and get files. But when I change permissions and ownership to try to get access it showed the files as it went. Also, Norton can virus scan those files. So they are there and can be seen and used by some things but not where I can browse and get them. I've tried tons of fixes found on the web. No luck. I'll try to repair win 8 with the oem install disk.

It is ok though. I have a full fresh non-update install of win 10 and the important files can be restored from my back up.