New Library Places

Excalibur
Petty Officer Second Class

New Library Places

Post by Excalibur »

I downloaded the organics course library places video, watched and rewatched it, tried and retried exactly as he did in the tutorial, and it doesn't make it right! It adds to the library browser, but not the library tab on the side thing. Also in the library browser it doesn't show everything inside of it. I have a few (More like 10.) textures inside the folder. I've tried them as jpg and png. How do I do it? I also had the same problem and deleted everything in the "Characters" library and put the organics stuff inside it.

P.S. Whenever I save my tank only the gun saves, not the body and tracks with it, how do I have them all save? Do I have to go into model side and save it as a scene? Or can I do it in workspace with just the "save" function?
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Re: New Library Places

Post by spacekdet »

The so-called Libraries are just a cruel joke.
Skip them and use the file menu.

You have to specify what you are saving (scene, object, etc) It sounds like you are saving an object rather than the entire scene.
For some unknown reason the default type is "item", whatever the hell that is.
You'll have to hit the dropdown list in 'files of type' and choose the one you want. Note the file extension before you commit.

If you want them to show up in the browser the folders have to be created inside the x:\trueSpace76\tS\RS Main Libraries folder.
Jack Edwards
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Jack Edwards »

Double clicking in the Library browser will cause the library to load into the stack.

Also make sure you didn't install trueSpace to the Program Files directory, because that will cause problems on Vista.

Saving an object only saves the selected object. You can use the up and down arrow keys to move through a hierarchy, left and right arrow keys select siblings within the group. Also helpful is to use the Scene View or Link Editor to make sure you have the right thing selected.

Like Space notes, if you just want to save the whole scene, it's simpler to right click and choose Insert As Scene. ;) Personally I always use the Insert As option that way I can select the file type that is saved.

Just a note, you don't want to use the built-in libraries to save your work. Any time you re-install the program it will wipe those libraries. Note that the libraries are really just folders on your harddrive. I always create a separate directory on my harddrive to be my personal Library Place for projects that I'm working on.
No booleans were used in the mangling of this message... :?

YafaRay for trueSpace Project

(Current version: v0.7.0)

trueSpacePlugins.com
Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

I don't use the piece of crap known as Vista, by the way. I use XP. (And Xubuntu, Linux.) So, how do you make a library? And, I only replaced characters then 'cause I couldn't make a normal library. The stuff in it isn't important and is really just fro mthe organics course.

Also, Jack, are you the creator of the organics course?
Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

So, you actually gonna tell me how to make them? All you do is tell about how they're a joke, problems, etc. but don't actually get to the real point.
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

2.3 Library Browser – Libraries
Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

Is the in the manual or something?
spacekdet
Captain
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Yea, I think Steinie is pointing out the 'chapter and verse' on where to find more info on Library/Places/Spaces/off to the races.

I never got them working in a manner which didn't leave me either furious or befuddled or both, so that's why I suggested just using the file menu.
Sorry I can't be of more help, hope you have better luck than I did with them.
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

The manual has very clear instructions on creating a library place.
Everyone should already have the pdf installed and the included graphics
really help. I don't think anyone here could explain this any better.
Take a look and if your still stuck ask away.
Jack Edwards
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Jack Edwards »

Yep, I did the Organics Course.

The key to libraries is the Library Browser. Right click on the top folder in the Library Browser and it'll bring up a menu with the option to create a new Library Place. Right click on any library and you'll also get options specific to that library.
No booleans were used in the mangling of this message... :?

YafaRay for trueSpace Project

(Current version: v0.7.0)

trueSpacePlugins.com