Leaving Vista?

CdeB
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Leaving Vista?

Post by CdeB »

Hi,

Its been a long time. I still upgrade Vue and 3DCoat but 3D work is still at low level due to writing fiction.

But it is to trueSpace my first 3D love, that I return!

I run tS on a 64 bit Vista and it works fine and indeed it was the last operating system that Caligari developed for.

My Vista computer is a Core i7 from when such things freshly came onto the market, but recently word 2007 crashes everytime I use it. This is a fundamentally important program so it sends signals to me about needed to fix something. I have tried using repair and even completely deleted and restored with no real improvement. Then Scrivener, my ultra stable writing program, crashed for the first time ever (been using for 2 years), and I think about Vista and the fact that its probably 5 years old and I have never reinstalled the operating system.. :mrgreen: .

Christmas job then! But, whilst I can still get hold of it I am thinking of getting and installing Windows 7. I am a scientist and our IT department won't touch Windows 8, but swear by 7.

The question is, do people find happiness with trueSpace and Windows 7?

I note that Windows 8 has a problem with some shaders (which I like) but I don't know whether this also applies to Win 7

Comments and user experiences very much welcome. And since I am using Vue and 3DCoat experience with them and 7 would be welcome but NOT essential.

Thanks,

CdeB
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Leaving Vista?

Post by Steinie »

I use 3DCoat, Vue and trueSpace 7.61 with Windows 7. The only issue is the refresh problem in trueSpace, however we have a fix for that and once applied there are no further issues. You won't regret the upgrade.

Also...
Scrivener is compatible up to Win8.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... enter/Home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

W7 has a LE error at first, sometimes, but with any unofficial update (either 1, 2 or 3 or 3.1) will fix this. There also is a plugin that will fix this available on the interwebs somewhere.

I have used TS with Windows 7 with no problems other than the LE editor - other than it's beta errors. I admittedly found less errors with TS in windows 8 - runs smoother in my opinion. I now use windows 8.1 - which has it's quirks, but I think it might be my mainboard getting old..

Kudos for sticking to Vista so long!

AND WELCOME BACK! The forum is slowly opening up to other software, focusing on the 3D aspects of the things we build and create - so feel free to share what you do with the other software!
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

The link editor errors in windows 7 were fixed by a Microsoft update not the Unofficial updates and the plugin to fix the problem isn't needed anymore.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

hehe, oops. Thought it was the updates that fixed it, guess it was Windows updating by itself without me realizing!
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

I use the modelside. It is an old software now but it work better with 7 than Vista. Before i used XP because I did not like Vista.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

clintonman wrote:The link editor errors in windows 7 were fixed by a Microsoft update not the Unofficial updates and the plugin to fix the problem isn't needed anymore.
That is news to me!
Thanks for the update.
CdeB
Chief Petty Officer

Post by CdeB »

Thanks guys!

Much appreciated.

Sorry for my slow check-in, went down with a nasty cold and then last night some one tried to break into our house.
Since 4 other houses in our neighbourhood were hit, we suspect they are doing the break the windows, then return at leisure and remove the fresh pane of glass soundlessly and retrieve the goods!

As a result of this thread I have now ordered Windows 7 Pro in English rather than the local Swedish. All my Swedish IT friends buy the English Language versions anyway as they say the fixes come a lot quicker...

Lets hope it was the operating system and not the hardware :oops:

Thanks again,

Chris
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

All programs work well on Windows 7 ! I use Windows 7 Pro..
Peter
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

yes, in 7 and 10 aswell. It works well.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)