Is Truspace still relevent in 2018?

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Is Truspace still relevent in 2018?

Post by BNG »

It's been far too long since I last used TS or any other modeling software for that matter. Sadly, I've forgotten a lot of what I learned over the years. I still have never found a better choice than TS, but I was wondering if most people have moved on to other 3d apps like Blender which I never could wrap my head around. Seasons greeting to all Leroy. :bananaclaus:
Draise
Captain

Re: Is Truspace still relevent in 2018?

Post by Draise »

TrueSpace has a special place in my heart. But yes.. I've moved on.. I've even moved on from Softimage... :?

I moved to Bforartists, as I'm not that happy with Blender, but atleast in Bforartists with Reiner/Tiles working on it, it feels a lot more comfortable.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

I'm using trueSpace in my everyday work. I've never lost a client saying my renders are not relevent.
Of course, you will find better tools around. For example, you can't achieve in trueSpace the great animations Draise can produce with BforArtists.
But with Clinton's new Blender import script you can create a scene with your favorite trueSpace interface, then tweak it and render in Blender !

Anyway if you don't look for stunning special effects, then yes, trueSpace is still relevent in 2018 and probably in 2019 too :D

Here is a render that comes out of trueSpace. It took me less than one day to create and render the scene. The client is happy. So am I.
Aldi_3d.jpg
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

I use trueSpace all the day for my work. It is the only software i need. No need compatibility.
From the beginning until the end of my career I would have used a single 3d software. Ts.
do you imagine the time saved during my life? No need to learn. Never. My work is to find idea. Only that.
I still have two years to retire and I will not change now while no other software is more convenient for me.
I'm doing illustrations for my pleasure.
I will surely continue after stopping working permanently.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Relevant (has some level of importance or viability) to a person and relevant in the larger picture (like the world of CG, or professional use, etc.) are different things. If you use it and find it a good tool for you then it is relevant for you. Is it relevant in the big picture? No. Few CG people have heard of it, fewer have used it, and almost no one who hasn't already used it will start. It may have had some relevance for the hobby CG world at its height.

Some programs are harder or easier but learning also depends upon the person who is learning. Intelligence, motivation, ambition, reward, goals, etc. are factors in whether a thing is worth learning. No one here is lacking in intelligence. So that isn't the issue with learning other programs. It is an issue of how much do you want it and do you need it.

As you become proficient with a program the fun, speed, and easy of use appear. TS is like no other but if you try some program you'll find TS easier, faster, better simply because you know it well and have little ability with the new one. Someone with much Blender experience who tried TS would find it slow (especially a hot key expert) and not fun simply because he doesn't know it well.

Emmanuel shows that it is the product that impresses an audience. Not how you made it. Marcel shows that the artist is much more important than the tool. Draise shows that adaptability is important in business. BNG shows that practice is important to maintain skills (hint, hint, enter challenges).

I've moved to Blender where I am still a novice.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

I think it is still able to make awesome work for sure. For most aplications. Certainly you wouldnt make a blockbuster 3D anim full movie in it, but theoretically its possible.

And yes, there are still ppl who use it as their primary 3D tool. Iam one of those.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

modeler is still good...all the other tools are good..just not the latest renderer!