Workflow..and TS..

the_ant
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Workflow..and TS..

Post by the_ant »

Maybe little offtopic...but want you to know ...

...that i gave a try to many others software for modeling (blender, strata, carrara, freecad, bryce) and "always back" to old "tSpace-modelside" with happiness and comfort...for me unbeatable interface and usability....(snapping elements very usefull and like no-others).... :bananahi: :bananahi:
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

NSIbreakthrough.jpg
I've done a lot of investigating and I have an understanding of the new 3Delight now. It is very different than the old one, 64bit, NSI instead of RIB and uses OSL shaders. Dribble cannot be easily adjusted to use the new system since it is tightly integrated with the old 3Delight API. In fact the plugin won't even load if 32 bit 3Delight isn't installed and ff 64bit is installed the 32bit stops working. I worked around it for testing by installing the new 3Delight after installing the old one. To use the old one I renamed the 64bit 3delight folder to 3delight_64 to get it "out of the way" and copied the 32 bit 3delight into the Program Files.

The image shows a RIB file that was manually converted to the NSI python format. Not shown is a proof of concept test I did to render from workspace via network connections called sockets. It takes text from a truespace script and sends it to a waiting python process that runs the text(literally) and renders the scene. 64bit python is needed to work with the new 3delight so it cant be done with any built in truespace python. It's neat because you can have interactive rendering, so you could do something like change the color of something in the scene, push a button and it updates the render.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

i read the entire "report". I dont really feel smart after that :D

Question is: Will we be able to render a scene made in tS modeler in the new 3Dlight using a short simple workflow?
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

I don't know how far I will take it, but in theory the only difference would be that it would render in a separate window instead of the truespace 3d view. Also depends on what you mean by "short simple workflow".
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

if i save a file and load it to stand alone render app, its simple enough. If i press button, it exports a file and loads into other app which will render and display it, its even better.

If i need to save, redo all the materials for it to work and redo lighting inside other app each time or something, its not simple.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)