Tutorial - Hexagon - Struts and Art From Wireframe

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Tutorial - Hexagon - Struts and Art From Wireframe

Post by Finis »

This tutorial tells how to make 3D models from wireframes in Daz Hexagon. I used this technique to make the pavilion and part of the sculpture in this image.
ArtPav_Exploratory1.jpg
The basic workflow is to create a polygonal model, extract its wireframe as curves, and apply thickness to get a framework similar to the metal structures in bridges and buildings. Applying subdivision to the frame object produces an artistic curved effect.

This tutorial is for people already familiar with Hexagon so I won't describe how to use the user interface or small details of how to use each tool.

The totorial has sections for detailed procedure, hints, and warnings.

Detailed Procedure

0. Start with a polygonal model.

1. selection menu item - select edges

2. selection menu item - select all

3. Move the mouse pointer over the object. Do not click. This causes the selected edges to highlight.

4. lines tab - curve extraction

5. surface modeling tab - thickness
HexStrutsTut_1.jpg
6. validate

7. surface modeling tab - weld

8. vertex modeling tab - close - close all ("A" in a circle)

9. validate

10. vertex modeling tab - average weld

11. validate

Now you have a structure built from the wireframe of the original object. If you want to make it curvy or artistic then apply SDS as follows;

12. surface modeling tab - smooth
12.a. The various methods of SDS will produce different results. Bezier Interpolation and Butterfly Subdivision can create bulges and asymmetry for interesting shapes.

13. remove the dynamic geometry (lightning bolt)

14. validate
HexStrutsTut_2.jpg
Hints

Applying decimation to the original object can produce a more random wireframe and interesting final results.

Applying SDS to the original object sometimes produces geometric patterns. Be sure to remove any dynamic geometry before continuing.

Warnings

Decimating the original object often results in spikes in the finished structure.

High levels of SDS cause Hexagon to crash, lock up, or take so long that it is effectively locked up. Stay at level 2 or 1.

Many of the steps can take a long time if there are many edges. Possibly minutes. Even 20 minutes. Curve extraction, thickness, and at some points validation are the usual slow points.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Cellulo
Lieutenant
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Re: Tutorial - Hexagon - Struts and Art From Wireframe

Post by Cellulo »

Thanks Finis, don't forget that you can increase the memory usage of Hexagon with these patchs maybe the crash not come when you use SDS:

http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... =39&t=4310
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Did you notice that using SDS "Doo-Sabin" or "Loop Subdivision" the results looked the same?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Cellulo. The patch and a very large amount of patience could allow much more complex shapes. I think the curved effect that SDS produces may be a unique result of Hexagon's curve extraction making Hexagon essential for doing the artistic ones. Blender can 3d-ize wireframes.

You are right Steinie. The mesh they make is different but the shapes are the same for three sds types. I like Doo-Sabin meshes for general SDS use. Loop and butterfly make triangulated meshes. Only bezier and butterfly really look different. Their effects aren't pronounced enough in the examples. I might make better ones. Bezier makes bulges and butterfly makes webbing like duck feet.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

Hex is a very cool program but I heard that animation was not supported sadly.