Young man battling cancer

A place where have some extra fun..
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Young man battling cancer

Post by Shell1850 »

My niece posted this on Facebook.

I just got off the phone with Jill and I have super super good news! They met with Dr. Hayes-Jordan the surgeon who will be doing his surgery. She thinks he has about 100 tumors- for which this type of cancer is not very many! None are attached to any organs- this is GOOD!!! She does not forsee any complications from surgery. She was thinking surgery will be around 10 hours- which is on the low side for this type of surgery(again, good news!) All good things:) I'm doing the happy cry and I feel so relieved. This is a horrible cancer- but he has all positive things considering how aggressive and hard to treat it is. Keep on praying hard- it's working! Thank you everyone for everything you've all done!
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

Brody had his surgery today.

Update from his mohter
2 o'clock UPDATE: Still all good. Vitals good. They currently just ordered the HIPEC (heated chemo) which takes about 2 hours to get and then it will be about 1.5 hrs of the heated chemo...then recovery!!!
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

Brody is out of the hospital. His doctor says he could be cancer free. :bananaclaus: :bananaclaus:

Today is his 13th birthday. Hopefully the first day of the rest of his long life.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Great news!
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Thats some great News ! :bananaclaus: :bananaclaus:
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

He just got back from 15 days of radiation treatment. Saw him last weekend. He has regrown his hair. Looks really good and is very slim.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

That is great news!
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Shell, great to hear that Brody is recovering! :)
darkmage
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by darkmage »

Seriously hope he fully recovers.

He will be in my prayers.
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

Brody passed away on April 14, 2015. The cancer had moved into his lungs.

My sister wrote this obituary.

Brody M. Hellendrung: March 22, 2001-April 12, 2015

Brody began his journey on March 22, 2001, kicking and screaming into the arms of his parents, Mark and Jill (Olson) Hellendrung. He was joined by his sister, Hannah, three years later and the Hellendrung family was complete. He enjoyed spending time with Grandma Kay and Grandpa Ron Hellendrung, just being a kid, doing what kids do with their grandparents. He filled an empty spot in the hearts of his Grandma Mary and Grandpa Steve Matthys and enjoyed spending time at their farm, learning about the sheep, garden, chickens, rabbits and juice-making. Yes, juice-making. He loved to make it but said it tasted awful.
This boy was a life-lover. It was written on his face, punctuated by his wonderful, unforgettable smile. In September of 2013, cancer was diagnosed after routine gall bladder surgery found several tumors and this boy started a war that no adult could fight any better or more valiantly. Armed with the support of his family, Brody the Superhero stared cancer in the eye and said, “Bring it.” Little did cancer know he was gathering an army of many, a community filled with love and strangers armed with faith, and in his Superman cape, he fought a battle we all expected him to win.
Through the battles and war this boy never gave up his love of history, Apple technology or trains. He had a constant stream of books and Internet searches. He was smart. He was witty. He was Brody. He loved life and life loved him back.
In the early evening of April 12, 2015, surrounded by his family and in the arms of his best friend, Kaylee Putzke, Brody took his superhero self back to heaven. Heaven responded with a ROAR of thunder. The clouds opened up and poured down tears of joy. Their angel had come home to stay.