Which movie editor?

Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Which movie editor?

Post by Kurt »

Hi guys,

I'm assuming you all have some movie editing software, so I'm after some recommendations.

I've been using Apple's little iMovie app for years, but now that I have 3D modellling capability, and I'mm using my models in my little films, I want to upgrade to a better movie editor.

Heard bad things about some of them, (like Pinnacle), but I don't know of any others for PCs except SONY Vegas Movie 9. I'm trialling that now, but so far am less than impressed.

What I want is an editor a bit above entry level, (translation: not too expensive), but something good and reliable.

Any suggestions>

Thanks,
Kurt.
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Re: Which movie editor?

Post by LeonRegis »

Pinnacle VideoSpin it's a good one... and It's FREE :D
Search about and see if what you want.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by First Light »

Hi Kurt,

The king of video editing on a PC is Adobe Premiere. But you don't have to spend US$640-700 for the professional CS4 version. You can get the consumer-oriented Premiere Elements 7 for about US$50-65. It has many of the features of the pro version for about 1/10th the cost. That's my first choice for a low-cost entry-level video editor.

An even better deal is to purchase Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 bundled together for about US$83 (based on prices at Amazon.com 20-Aug-09 --- note: in my experience, prices can fluctuate a lot at Amazon).

Best regards, First Light
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

leonregis wrote:Pinnacle VideoSpin it's a good one... and It's FREE :D
Search about and see if what you want.
Well, the price is right! :)

Thanks, Leon, I'll take a look at it.

Cheers,
Kurt
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

First Light wrote:Hi Kurt,

The king of video editing on a PC is Adobe Premiere. But you don't have to spend US$640-700 for the professional CS4 version. You can get the consumer-oriented Premiere Elements 7 for about US$50-65. It has many of the features of the pro version for about 1/10th the cost. That's my first choice for a low-cost entry-level video editor.

An even better deal is to purchase Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7 bundled together for about US$83 (based on prices at Amazon.com 20-Aug-09 --- note: in my experience, prices can fluctuate a lot at Amazon).

Best regards, First Light
Aaah, that's beginning to sound interesting, FirstLight! Sounds like what I want. I had heard of Premier, but don't know anything about it. I guess I probably assumed it was only for Macs, and the expensive end at that.

Thanks,

Kurt.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Kurt wrote: Aaah, that's beginning to sound interesting, FirstLight! Sounds like what I want. I had heard of Premier, but don't know anything about it. I guess I probably assumed it was only for Macs, and the expensive end at that.
Kurt.
Reputations sometimes life long!
At the beginning Adobe made pro soft for Apple (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, ...). But since a very long time it sells its software for PC. These are the same on Mac and it has helped to connect Mac and PC. The light versions for Photoshop and Premiere are good products and it would be useful to have a light Illustrator. But it is not interesting for Adobe today. Only photo video and musik are used by most people. Other soft are for pro. When 3d will be used by many people, we will have light versions too. To do this we must wait until this is common practice (3d photo, 3d scanner, 3d printers for everyone). I guess the children constructing their toys or their jewelry. This is the next challenge of the market. after music, photo and video. who would have imagined that everyone can make High Definition Video? Tomorrow is for 3d market.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

marcel wrote:who would have imagined that everyone can make High Definition Video? Tomorrow is for 3d market.

Exactly, Marcel! It's amazing that the general public now has access to software that was light-years out of its reach not so long ago!

And who would have thought that everyone could have their own television camera at home, too? I remember being over the moon when I got my first Super-8 movie camera!!! :D
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Kurt wrote:I remember being over the moon when I got my first Super-8 movie camera!!! :D
I remember when I saw the first man walk on the moon in live. This day I did not think it would take more than 70 years to repeat this feat to Mars. :mrgreen:
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

marcel wrote:
Kurt wrote:I remember being over the moon when I got my first Super-8 movie camera!!! :D
I remember when I saw the first man walk on the moon in live. This day I did not think it would take more than 70 years to repeat this feat to Mars. :mrgreen:
Yep, I remember that day, Marcel. I took my Dad's portable TV set to work and set it up so that everyone could watch. The TV was switched on all morning and nobody could concentrate on work as the time drew closer. Then, when Armstrong finally started to come down the steps, everybody left thweir desks and crowded around the TV, even the Boss.

I also thought that Mars colonies were just around the corner, too. Hey, what's taking them so long?! :)

Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

First Light, I checked out and then bought that package that you recommended. I'm glad I did. It's just what I was looking for - something much more sophisticated that the humble iMovie, but accessible and appealing to use.

Thanks again. :bananathumb:

Cheers,
Kurt