question about adobe premiere, and windows os

Technical questions, etc..
froo
Captain

question about adobe premiere, and windows os

Post by froo »

Hey folks. I have a question.
I do not have an XP machine anymore; my copy of Adobe Premiere 6.0 will not work / install on Windows 7 nor 8.

I have the XP install disks, and I think it is installed on a couple hard drives, so I wonder if it is worth bothering
trying to get it to work, or just say to hell with it and use something free which may be more powerful anyway, or at least, usable for my needs.

thoughts?

thanks

froo
jamesmc
Captain

Re: question about adobe premiere, and windows os

Post by jamesmc »

Well, I don't know how to do it with a dead machine, but with a transfer this is what I did.

1. De-activated the Suite (I have several Adobe Programs)
2. Re-activated the Suite on the new computer.

I assume that it works this way for a single program as I had to do this with Photoshop before.

There's probably a way to deactivate online without a computer being in service, but not sure where to find it.
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Draise »

Hmmm... the version 6?! :shock: What year did that come out??

If the license trouble doesn't help:
If you are running windows 7, you could start up a virtual computer using VirtualBox (free) or the windows 7 virtual computer system thing. Allot a system to the virtual system, install XP to it, and viola! I recommend VirtualBox to create your false XP system and install Premiere there, and hopefully allot enough RAM to it too... But I think XP will only take 4 gigs anyway!....

Or partition one of your harddrives with XP beside your windows 7, I did that once. But I eventually fully migrated to Windows 7 because I liked it. It's called multibooting.
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

What kind of problems are you having.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Thanks guys.

When I try to install on Win 7 I get an error indicating Premiere 6 is not compatible with 'this version of Windows', meaning, Windows 7.

Yeah I got Adobe Premiere 6.0 / 6.5 back in 2002, so it's 10 years old. I could put XP on a virtual machine. Just don't know if I want to put the effort into it or not.

thanks!
Shell1850
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Shell1850 »

You must be using the Pro version. I installed premiere elements 4 and it seems to work.

I had that problem with a old church accounting program. When you click autostart or setup in the root directory it would not work. Some one told me to go the installation directory and run setup or install from there. It worked.
Last edited by Shell1850 on 16 Aug 2012, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Ok I'll try that. Thanks Shell.
marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by marcel »

I have premiere 6 on Virtual XP because i need sometime to read old work. The Virtual card emulated is enought for this old software and premiere 6 work well. The switch between Virtual XP and seven is really good and fast. Premiere 6 can read all the data from the disk. I can use premiere on XP and a software on seven at the same time (edit video and image on seven then import the result on premiere as if these softwares are on the same OS.)
It is more useful than to switch between two real OS. On seven i have premiere éléments 10. A good soft for his low price. It work well with HD video.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr