GPU rendering with Vray

noko
Senior Chief Petty Officer

GPU rendering with Vray

Post by noko »

Siggraph 2009 wrote:This demo was presented by Chaos Group on August 6, 2009 at the SIGGRAPH 2009 Chaos Group User Event. During the event the first public showing of their GPU rendering tests were presented to a packed house. This video showcases the recently released V-Ray RT using an NVIDIA GeForce 285 GPU. While this GPU verson is not a shipping product yet, already this technology demo features rendering speeds and quality surpassing all of the current GPU rendering applications that we've seen to date. Several high level industry representatives in attendance commented that this demo was the highlight of SIGGRAPH 2009.

Video Notes

This demo currently uses CUDA, but Chaos Group is looking to possibly port to OpenCL
Once a shipping product, the GPU rendering version of V-Ray RT will support distrubuted Rendering
The product will support more than one GPU
There was no date announced about the release of this product
What seperate their solution from all others is that the GPU rendering output MATCHES the production render quality from a CPU rendered frame buffer exactly!
All of the demos were rendered at 640 x 480
http://www.cgarchitect.com/news/SIGGRAP ... -GPU.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very impressive!
marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: GPU rendering with Vray

Post by marcel »

i'll see later the video that shows the speed. It is too slow. My modem have not a gpu. :mrgreen:
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

We will see big improvements in quality and speed of software and hardware in the future.
Thea is also going to be gpu accelerated... Giannis the dev said that a few days ago.....
so this is going to be mainstream pretty soon !
noko
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by noko »

lol Marcel, well on one example it took an I7 Intel Quad core 27 seconds to render a GI, shadows (soft) castics (if I remember right). With the GPU it took 1/40 of a second which was basically updating or rendering the scene 40 times a second, same quality each. Another example was with a 800,000 triangle scene which the GPU was able to update about 6 FPS and CPU render was around 3 minutes. This is really looking good for studio grade rendering of multiple frames on a personal computer. The GPU was a GeForce 285, ~$350 video card using Nvidia Cuda, Chaos group indicated they will try to have a OpenCL version which will allow any modern day GPU to render VRay. I don't think this is ment for real time display but it is rather close depending upon scene complexity. Working in this type of environment would be so awesome.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Looked like 8 cores, or two quad core processors, when he use the task manager. Is that an I7?

Will this be able to produce large renders like for theater screens quickly?
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Finis wrote:
Will this be able to produce large renders like for theater screens quickly?
That depends on the packaging...... but it should be able to do the same sizes that the old Vray could do in a render mode.....
but realtime who knows ?
smaller up to HD but much quicker....
Bunkspeed packaged there deal in lower price versions for less money.
As this is a demo its up to Chaos group after the Siggraph....

Bunkspeed goes up to up to 2,560 by 1,600 for realtime in the pro version
http://www.bunkspeed.com/hypershot/techspecs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since Vray gpu version is only a demo its speculation....