Robotech Hovercycle Take 2

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Robotech Hovercycle Take 2

Post by clintonman »

bodyArmor0B2.jpg
bodyArmor0c.jpg
Replaced the poser figure with a simpler mesh and added some color. The last render was made by creating a large sphere, a dim directional light and using the point clone script. The default sphere has no normals(trueSpace bug) so I used the smooth normals tool to give it some. I flipped the faces of the sphere so the normals pointed inward, and set the orientation option of the script to use point normals. Final result is I get a bunch of directional lights all pointed towards the center of the model. This also give me an idea for a new script.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

stuckSDS_01.jpg
stuckSDS_02.jpg
stuckSDS_03.jpg
I think I found a bug. The SDS values are getting stuck on some meshes. First image shows a mesh that has been flattened. When I apply SDS it is faceted. Resetting SDS doesn't fix it, but if I go into point edit mode and select all the faces or edges and reset SDS it gets cleaned up.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Attached is a sample of the SDS problem.
Attachments
helmetVisor.zip
(15.69 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Clinton Reese

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I found that problem too.

The easy way of fixing it is subtracting the SDS to the control mesh level then subtract it once more, then flatten the history. This fixed your mesh.

Another fix is subtracting the SDS to no SDS then extract the SDS control mesh. Then reSDS it all again and it works and that fixes the majority of the errors, but I still had some errors..

I noticed that when I subtracted to SDS level 0 on your corrupt mesh, I couldn't extract the control mesh (disabled), thus I needed to subtract once again to extract it (enable the extract control mesh )or to flatten it's history without errors.

I have had those issues before.
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Draise wrote:I found that problem too.

The easy way of fixing it is subtracting the SDS to the control mesh level then subtract it once more, then flatten the history. This fixed your mesh.

Another fix is subtracting the SDS to no SDS then extract the SDS control mesh. Then reSDS it all again and it works and that fixes the majority of the errors, but I still had some errors..

I noticed that when I subtracted to SDS level 0 on your corrupt mesh, I couldn't extract the control mesh (disabled), thus I needed to subtract once again to extract it (enable the extract control mesh )or to flatten it's history without errors.

I have had those issues before.
Thanks for looking at this. At first I didn't understand the easy way, but I think when you say subtract you mean reset. The reseting the mesh one more time did it. What is extract control mesh and where do I find it?
Clinton Reese

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

yes, the "reset SDS" = "extract SDS control mesh". It's the same.

Problem:

subtract to base layer, or reset SDS/extract SDS control mesh

subtract layer again, tho it has none, then flatten history - or just flatten history with the reset SDS/extracted SDS control mesh

Fixed