Deep Space Doris launched into iSpace!

splinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Deep Space Doris launched into iSpace!

Post by splinters »

My wife says some of her Year 2 kids could read this so I guess a confident 6-7 year old could read it.
I gave it to an intelligent 15 year old who thought is was 'amazing'..his words not mine.
I tried to take the concept of a graphic novel, story and picture book and aim it at older readers than any of my other books which are aimed at younger readers or parents of children to read.
At 70 pages and 7000 words long it took me about 30 mins to read through it and look at the pics as if I were reading for the first time.
Of course, it is episodic so you could read a few pages at a time.
Over the years I have found that the books appeal to a wide range. Adults enjoy some of the dry humour running through them and nearly everybody enjoys the illustrations. Older kids with reading difficulties enjoy the stories I aimed at much you ger children.
A languages teacher is very keen to work with me to use them to teach English as a second language...I guess the pictures will help tell the story.

I do know one thing, it looks lovely on the new iPad... :D
Délé
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Délé »

Cool, ty Paul! I'll share it on my social networks sometime next week. I've found posts often go unnoticed on the weekends, especially a holiday weekend with much nicer than average weather. So it will get more views if I post it in the middle of the week. ;)
-Délé
http://www.GrokShockStudios.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

congratulations on making your dream come true and never gave up! I have a big respect for finishing something big like this by yourself.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Thanks guys. Any and all support is much appreciated.

Already on with the sequel.
Breech Block
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Breech Block »

Many, many congrats, Paul. Your work has always been a great inspiration to me and I'm glad to hear your years of toil are now starting to reward you financialy as well as artisticaly. :bananacool2:
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Truth be told, I was the "intelligent 15 year old" used as a guinea pig who admired your work...
OK I lied.......but only about me being 15 and intelligent...

Nice to see you have stuck with your vision Paul. It seems to be rewarding finally. :bananathumb:
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Thanks guys...I am a persistent little bugger. Doesn't mean its any good but its mine and told and illustrated the way I wanted rather than directed by an agent or publisher.
Has anyone bought it and tried it out apart from James? I added DRM to this one and I suspect its the reason it is taking a little longer to get into the iBookstore even though it is showing as listed.
James, did you have any problem viewing it on your PC?
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Well, this appeared in Barnes and Noble's Nookstore a few weeks ago but still no sign of it in the ibookstore. They have a bit of a backlog apparently... :(
3dfrog
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by 3dfrog »

sweet, just purchased this on my nook. Looking forward to reading it :)

Edit

Paul, a heads up here. The book formatting on nook is a bit off on nook. The right side of each page is cut off and it is not centered on the screen. Are you able to fix it or is it in the hands of the store now? I would hate to see people leave any negative reviews for a format issue. The book is fantastic.
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Wasnt this thread 4 pages long? Seems to have disappeared...