Attachments
Zeek Head shot.jpg
Zeek full body.jpg
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Character Modeling

Post by Draise »

This is funky! Loving the lip textures and personality. Where are you doing these textures? And UV's?
pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 »

Yep he´s one cool dude :bananacool2:
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Very nice Jeff! Love it! :bananacheers:
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

The UV's and Textures were done in Argile.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Here are images of a new character created "Hillbilly Earl"
Attachments
Hillbilly Earl-Face2.jpg
Hillbilly Earl-Full body.jpg
Hillbilly Earl-Full body2.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

And one last one.
Attachments
Hillbilly Earl-Face.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

I have also put together and more defined set of instructions for creating characters.
While this next set does not have images at the current moment the instructions are pretty simple and should be easy to follow.
For this section of the tutorial we are going only deal with making the head as the rest of the body parts can be created in the same fashion and then joined.
1) Have an idea or image of what you want you character to look like.
2) Open up TS (I use 4.3)
3) Create a sphere
4) Switch to the front view and size the sphere to match what you have as a idea or image of the character.
5) Switch to side view and once again size the sphere.
6) While in the side view rotate the sphere so that the sphere is laying on its back (Z axis is parallel to the ground plane).
7) Switch to the top view, from this view we will be doing most of our work.
8) In vision where the mouth is going to be.
9) use the polygon draw tool and sketch the mouth opening
10) Now use the polygon draw tool to draw another polygon around the once you just drew, and repeat this step once more.
11) It will resemble a bulls eye when done.
12) I do about four rings, this allows for the mouth opening and being able to later sculpt the lips.
14) Now use the polygon draw tool and connect the rings together so that it looks something like a spider web, DO NOT go past the first ring you drew. Leave the center alone so that all you see is just the original vertices that you started with.
13) Now using the point edit tool and selecting edges do the following, select one at a time a vertices that goes from one edge of the first ring to the other edge of the first ring then delete it.
14) What you are doing it creating a open hole for the mouth.
15) Now using the point edit and selecting faces, select the mouth opening. You should have a oval or circle selected.
16) Switch to the side view, using the point edit tool pull down on the face you selected, pull it towards the back side of the head or towards the ground. Do not pull it all the way down only pull it about half way.
17) Switch back to the top view and use the point scale tool to enlarge the opening up and down and left to right.
18) You have just created the mouth.
19 The same process can be done to create the eye sockets with the exception that you only need two to three rings and the most.
19) If you plan on creating eye brows that stick out then use the polygon draw tool to draw a half ring above the eye, you will need to create one below the original one and one above the original one, connect them together just like you did your mouth.
20) At this point you will need Argile to perform the remaining steps.
21) Export your object from TS in OBJ format to a folder.
22) Open up Argile and import your object into it.
23) By default when you import a object into Argile it is in stage "0" of the mesh generation, select stage "1" but DO NOT select or click on Generate Mesh.
24) You can now start sculpting, I use the move tool and jelly smooth the most.
25) Once you have got your model to the way you like it, go back and select "0" on the mesh generation and this is what your model really looks like.
26) Now export the model out as a OBJ, every time I make a change I number it so I may end up with 20 or more head models before I am done.
27) Open up TS and import your head back in.
28) Create a sphere and scale down to fit your head as a nose, one you have it looking good use the Object Union tool to join it to your head.
29) Now export it back to Argile as a OBJ.
30) Once again import it into Argile and start sculpting until you get it looking the way you want, using the same steps as above.
Follow these steps for the whole character and I am sure you will end up with some interesting end results that you will like.
Take care and keep on modeling... :bananacheers:
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

How'd you do the hair jeff?