Procedural shark anim export with WS OBJ EXporter

froo
Captain

Procedural shark anim export with WS OBJ EXporter

Post by froo »

This is a sample set of sequential obj files exported using the Workspace OBJ Exporter.
It is the first 34 frames of the procedural shark. Looks good. :bananacheers:

I added my jscript command node in between the timer node, and the Motivator node.
In the screenshot, are three frames I selected at random. I believe they are, from left to
right, Frame 0, 10, and 23. I moved and rotated them so they lined up neatly, so you can
compare the tails. The tails are the best descriptor indicating the procedural animation stills.
In other words, the tail is the best descriptor demonstrating the procedural animation section
of the OBJ exporter *Works*.

Take a look at the shark.zip, import the obj series into Vue and let me know what you think.

I have some work to do on the panel of the node, like a 'reset' feature which clears text fields.

===================

Tech Info stuff:

I already had a script command available in the OBJ plugin. To see it, just type:

OBJPlugin.

in a jscript command. You will see the autocomplete display the available commands in the OBJ Plugin package.
If you were to try this command currently, it may not work as expected. I put in a fix today, passing a string from
jscript to C++. I will describe the solution at truespaceplugins.com in an article.
Attachments
Shark.zip
OBJ Exporter supports procedural animation export
(910.57 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
RAYMAN
Captain

Re: Procedural shark anim export with WS OBJ EXporter

Post by RAYMAN »

Great to see this coming together iwill make a short clip with that so that we can promote your plug !
Thanks
Peter
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Thanks peter.
That was just a very quick test so I just let it run very briefly.
More to do with it of course.

Froo
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

The shark comes in swimming on the spot rather then using the space
but otjher then that it looks good !
Peter
Attachments
sharkanim.jpg
on the spot.jpg
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Hi Rayman.
The shark is swimming in a circular fashion like that because I just let it run. I did not
try to 'steer' it. So it is importing correctly.
Let me do another run, and this time I will steer the shark around by using the widget.
Then I will repost the resulting obj file.
No changes have been made to the importer code which will affect the positioning of the imported object.
The object should be imported the way it was exported.
Thanks for testing, and wow. That's a cool scene! :D

If we can get the shark to just follow the mouse, while 'recording' (saving to OBJ files) that would be Very cool.
I thought someone did that already; I think the hotrod does that, if we use a mouse listener. There is one
of those examples in the libraries.

I will get post another set shortly.

Thanks!

Froo
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Try this set. This looks better I think, since I learned how to use the 'steering controls' :)

I deleted the first 2-3 frames because for some reason the ahrk jumps from its location to the origin, then back to teh start location. Not sure why that is happening. I do not believe this is due to the exporter; it does not control positioning of the
object. But the fact remains, the issue is there. I will try with other procedurally animated objects as well, to see if a pattern emerges.

Anyway, try this out. The shark makes a turn, goes straight, then turns again.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Some great progress that you have made! 2 things that we have to look at is speed
and its still swimming on the spot but the movement and export is perfect great job !
tried reimport with luuv and also in Ts on the spot..
I used the ple of Vue 7 version because I had trouble with my full version the importer isnt perfect
Robert is trying to fix that ....
so sorry for the logo...
Peter
Attachments
sharktest.zip
(132.83 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

oh ok. Now I see what you mean by the shark swimming in place.
When I reimport each OBJ into truespace the shark is repositioned accurately, not at 0,0,0.
Same thing for blender. The objects are properly oriented and positioned.
Granted, I am not importing OBJ files for animation. But if Vue imports these one OBJ at a time,
the OBJ's should be properly translated and rotated.

So you can export using LUUV and they import correctly? Is that correct Rayman?

Now, regarding speed. Do you mean, the speed of the swim? Or the speed of the import? :)

Also, which specific PLE are you using? Vue 7 for 3D Artists? Or Vue 7.5 xStream/Infinite Personal Learning Edition?
I could take a look as well.

thanks
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

For the last test I used the free Vue 7 infinite PLE ..... you can use that too and the import scripts I can email to you.....
The orientation is ok in Vue and they come in nicely its just that the shark should make a big round around the terrain
and that should transfer well with the obj format.But when i reimport your obj files with luuv into the modelside of truespace they are
one on top of the other.......
for the speed.... the simulation is going to fast... i would have to go down to 10 frames per second to get the right speed
I used 15 frames per second on the last simulation.....

Thanks
Peter
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

hm Ok. I will look into that. thanks. :bananacheers: