Start here with the Blender User Manual

First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Start here with the Blender User Manual

Post by First Light »

Greetings,

Often the best "tutorials" are found in the original User Manuals that are written for a program. In the case of Blender, the User Manual is provided online. It is massive! Here are some links:
Sadly, the online User Manual is (in my opinion) difficult to read because of its bright white text on a dark grey (almost black) background. The high contrast can screw with your vision after you've read page after page. They should see how our forum's twilightBB theme overcomes this problem by muting the text to a comfortable light grey shade on a dark grey background.

Fortunately, I found a downloadable pdf version of the Blender User Manual that was prepared by Marco Ardito. It was last updated 29-Jan-2009 so it may not be completely current but it's probably 99% there. It is a 24 MB download and it has 1351 pages!!! Its color scheme is reversed to a more normal black text on a white background so it can be easily printed. You'll see a link to the pdf manual on the main Blender website but it doesn't work. I found an archive site that has it. The following link should start the download:
I recommend starting with the Blender User Manual before you go looking for tutorials. After that, you'll find information about tutorials and Blender support sites on the main Blender website (see the first link above).

Best regards, First Light
Mr. 3d

Re: Start here with the Blender User Manual

Post by Mr. 3d »

YouTube has video Tutorials also
Last edited by Mr. 3d on 24 Jul 2009, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
lothissen
Petty Officer First Class

Post by lothissen »

This forum seems to be turning into a general 3D forum, which is no bad thing. Blender is bound to get a mention every now and then, it is available to anyone with an internet connection afterall.
--------------------===============AKA Jayr===============--------------------
------------------=========3D Coat -Lightwave- Messiah=========------------------
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

First Light wrote:
Scroll part way down the webpage until you see "Blender Wiki PDF...". Here's the link:
Uh-oh, they must have seen me coming. The link doesn't work. Or the site is down. I'll wait a bit and try later.

First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by First Light »

Kurt wrote:
First Light wrote:... Uh-oh, they must have seen me coming. The link doesn't work. Or the site is down. I'll wait a bit and try later. ...
Hi Kurt,

I tried it again, myself, and it doesn't seem to work any more. So I updated my original post with a couple of new links. The first one is a direct link to the pdf file, itself, on the Internet Archive website. If you click on the "Blender PDF User Manual" link in my original post, it should start downloading. I followed it with a second link to the hosting site, Internet Archive.

Let me know if you have any further trouble.

Best regards, First Light
Mr. 3d

Post by Mr. 3d »

First Light wrote:I tried it again, myself, and it doesn't seem to work any more.
Muwahahahahaaaaa...there will be no Blender here (kidding :lol: ) :bananadevil: :lol:
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I found this great site if you would like to learn the new Blender while utilizing
your knowledge of 3D.

http://blendertips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by theuns »

link worked for me, just downloaded the whole PDF... tnx First Light

And thanks steinie for the blender tip link ;)
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.