Finally, an apple for the teacher..... :D

Congrats ...
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Buddy World

Post by splinters »

Finis wrote:That's great Splinters!

You get paid for ibooks downloads right? Have you sold anything yet on lulu?
Yeah, I get paid from itunes. As for Lulu, not sold a single printed book online...but sold all those that I bought myself. Then again, I do get them cheaper than if you ordered yourself.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

It is the time to show your work with new technologie. A good think for you. Your work is really a good thing for iPad (or other) and child. Maybe better than home computer because your work is like a book.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Thank you, I really hope this takes off. I always envisaged a more technological outlet for my work but all those years ago, traditional printing was the only 'commercial' way to go but, as you are no doubt aware, I had a lot of trouble with agents and publishers accepting my style of work.

Luckily I built up a body of work with all the source files so I am now able to convert to this new format with relative ease. I converted 4 books in one evening and published them online. The beauty of the ipad is how it makes a double paged spread if you turn it to landscape mode (the ipod/iphone just changed orientation and still displays a single page).

If anyone here has an iPad I can offer you a free book if you can just test it for me and see how it looks... :D
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Just to follow up on the iPad/iBook thing, I reached No.17 in the kids and teens charts so they are selling now. I think around 80 had sold on last count so no millionaire mansion for me just yet... :D

However, I am revamping the website and plan to put more 'advertising' into the books to get more interest.

I need a fresh pair of eyes to look at the site as a first visitor would. Does that first page show what you are getting?, is it clear what the site contains? Is there enough there to make people 'click to enter'? Is there too much and slows down loading time? Should there be a smaller 'loading' page or is that just one more page too many?

Any advice would be appreciated....
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

- when i click on the rocketsip (maingate page), the link have no effect (link to the same page). i think it is important for a first page of a web site to not have link like this. maybe that need to go to "sample/rocketship.html" for non members.
- page like info.html need to have a limit for the text inside an area with the same size of the others pages. in a big screen or if you zoom out on a small notebook it is not beautifull to have only 1 or 2 long lines of texte.
- the button sound on off at mainmapsamp.html is not enought visible for me. the first time i tried to click on the white text near the button and I thought it did not work. only after i saw the button.
- the speed of the refresh for all pages is very good for me.
Good work.
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Good points Marcel. The rocketship is just a 'mouse over' effect to explain where you can go if you join but I will do something with that.
Same with the sound control. Not sure about the text though, I made it quite big but I will look at it.

I was more concerned about the first page you reach with all the characters...does it need more...or less?
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

I find the twelve circles too big. it occupies too much space. to make the whole more lively and enjoyable this is what I would like:
when the mouse moves over a circle, it does not change and there is no info in a bubble. All this appears in the large center circle instead of the current illustration (all text in the center of the page disappear as well). give it a better preview of each world with enought space to insert text in the big circle. when a mouse is over the space, the artwork and the current texts reappear. it seemed simpler and more efficient.
with this solution you can add info in the central circle when mouse is over "games" and "books" and a cool illustration to invite member and non member when the mouse is over "member entry" or "join now".
i know it is a big work to redraw the whole.
Last edited by marcel on 10 Oct 2010, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

just hand another look around with my 2 yr grandson and he's very impressed lol
There used to be a flash tutorial for a game called Ice World, it was a simple platform game and you made an level editor and the game engine, the game was driven by an XML file
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

The short suggestion I have is to add text describing Deep Space Doris.... you have the logo there but new readers will not see the character name unless they dig in....