ANIMATION CONTEST 2010 / 02

LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

This contest will be totally different! Will be liberal, I'll try to maximize the fun and the entries, at the end of the post I'll explain each change and action I made.

Theme: Completely free, do whatever you want.

Start: now
End: 27 MARCH 2010 -> EXTENDED! 27 APRIL -> EXTENDED! 27 of MAY. All animations which are submitted until the end of this day are in the contest, before 23:59 in your country. I'll check it on http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :twisted: Kidding...

THESE ARE THE RULES (JUST) FOR THIS CONTEST:
- No software restriction for modeling, animating, post processing, rigging, texturing, etc.
- WIP is required even for small and fast animations! If you don't do a WIP at least explain in your entry post how do you did and where did you collect things as models and textures, also which software did you used.
- Any model, ie, you can download models... but only those free and also you need to explain in your WIP in which site are you collecting the models
- Motion or Facial capturing is allowed
- No restriction in length but it should be a resolution above 320x240
- upload your final animation onto youtube and present it here OR upload it anywhere else in a "normal usable" codec like XVID/DIVX or MP4 so that anybody is able to see it
- You can post any unpublished animation, I mean by it that... you can post a animation you didn't published yet, or a animation that you heavily modified and didn't published yet, but you need to post the WIP of it, if you don't have it then you can't put it here. Ex: Marcel can entry with B.O.T 4. Please guys respect this rule, post only if you didn't published it really and if you have a WIP.

------------------------------------------------------------

Explaining the decisions:
Theme: Completely free, do whatever you want.
It will you be free to do whatever you want, but maybe some will not join due to the lack of ideas but please GET AN IDEA :evil: :mrgreen:
- No software restriction for modeling, animating, post processing, rigging, texturing, etc.
Some guys thinks is better to use some other softwares they are good at and using only truespace would make the results worst... what I want to see is beautiful animations and not beautiful animations created in Truespace even if I prefer the second. The only con of it is that good softwares as Vue, 3D max and Maya that many couldn't afford would be used and since they are better than tS in animation it would make it a bit unfair.
- WIP is required even for small and fast animations! If you don't do a WIP at least explain in your entry post how do you did and where did you collect things as models and textures, also which software did you used.
First because we need it to be able to do another thing that is be able to use any software and post unpublished animations... but also because it's better to all know about it and also I think nobody wants to keep secret of your animation, well, now if you want, you can't anymore. :)
- Any model, ie, you can download models... but only those free and also you need to explain in your WIP in which site are you collecting the models
- Motion or Facial capturing is allowed
- No restriction in length but it should be a resolution above 320x240
- upload your final animation onto youtube and present it here OR upload it anywhere else in a "normal usable" codec like XVID/DIVX or MP4 so that anybody is able to see it
Normal decisions on Animations contests.
- You can post any unpublished animation, I mean by it that... you can post a animation you didn't published yet, or a animation that you heavily modified and didn't published yet, but you need to post the WIP of it, if you don't have it then you can't put it here. Ex: Marcel can entry with B.O.T 4. Please guys respect this rule, post only if you didn't published it really and if you have a WIP.
This one would attract guys that are already engaged in an animation and don't want to start another just for the contest. Also is good for continuous projects where you keep going with the animation. I'm sure that because of it we will see many other entries. I know maybe it's a bit unfair with who is just joining it now, but we can extend it for one more month (I'll do a poll 5 days before the end of the contest to see if anyone wants to extend). Also use and abuse of the possibility of download models, this would help if you want to do a super production animation.

I hope to see many enters and also that you have lots of fun doing it!
Please be a fair player and obey the rules to have a fair competition, they are there just for it and nothing else, I know that are a lot of ways to cheat in this competition because is by far too liberal but I trust in this community because is small and cool, ;)

Thanks and let's go! :superbanana:

PS: Concerned with some point, didn't like a action? Post here and I'll see what I can do. Also be free to discuss anything related to the contest here, in this topic.
Last edited by LeonRegis on 27 Apr 2010, 21:40, edited 2 times in total.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
noko
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: ANIMATION CONTEST 2010 / 02

Post by noko »

Really most awesome in how you set the rules on this one. Main reason is most everyone, well maybe allot of folks have animations just sitting around, some almost done or even close that can be brought out of the closet. I know I do, maybe time to air them out a little. :mrgreen:

Please open up a comment thread. Thanks!
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Glad you liked it Noko, hope to see some entries from you or a great entry alone. :mrgreen:

We don't need comment thread in animations contests... since they will be upload in youtube you just need to put the link in the poll thread and voilà.
noko

Post by noko »

I have two animations at least I should be able to share, one is virtually complete and the other about 70% depending how much more I want to add to it. I hope to see allot of folks bring out stuff they tuck away in the past. In any case this can really be fun for those who join in. Maybe call it the dusty old never seen animations contest, love to see some tS 3.1 never seen clips and maybe even younger. Of course not limited to tS or the past neither so dusty old may not apply.
noko

Post by noko »

WIP thread

http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... f=5&t=1560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Good to know Noko, I saw the animation in your WIP and seems pretty good already.

Yeah, would be cool see really old animations poping up, but also who don't have any animation create one. :mrgreen:

I'll try to post a updated version of the Mission to mars, and now I'll put to render 10 days before the deadline, then I think I'll have enough time to a good render.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

YEAH, now thats the way to run an animation contest.
This may seem strange as I stink at doing space animation and have never been good at them.
After my animation for the previous contest of the two space ships fighting I was contacted by a band that is currently on tour to do a video for one of their songs. Even more strange is they wanted a space type animation for their song.
So as I am currently working on this I will be using this animation for the contest.
You can hear some of the music the band does by going to http://www.fervorband.com
Thanks Leon, you ROCK...
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

I love the rules Leon now i can take part in the contest......
Realy great !
Peter
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Well I like how this Challenge will be open to all. To me it will not matter since
trueSpace will be my weapon of choice. (Ok I don't have any other weapons... :oops: )
I have two ideas which will be attempted for this Challenge. They may or may not be completed
in time but Golly Gee Willikers I'll give it my best effort boss...darn tootin' I will:lol:

p.s. Leonregis, why not continue your Space launch with this Challenge?
p.p.s. Jeff Roig's inclusion of the Rock video into your contest will be fantastic. :bananaguitar:
p.p.s.s. Noko in any contest will be awesome.
Anyone else want to show us what your made of? I kick sand in your face! :bananadevil:
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

I´m in here is my wip
http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... f=5&t=1563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter