TWINMOTION is FREE

LightWorks, VRay, Dribble, YafaRay and more..
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

TWINMOTION is FREE

Post by Emmanuel »

Earlier this year, Twinmotion was a professional tool for architects and designers, sold at around 1600 euros.
Twinmotion was using the Unreal Engine.

Epic Game has bought Twinmotion and this software is now given for free in Epic Games launcher.

Use this thread to post your workflow, tips and tricks to render your trueSpace scenes in Twinmotion renderer.
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: TWINMOTION is FREE

Post by bitkar »

that is just awesome... !!! thanks for info.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Incredible they left this for free after the acquisition. Though I can imagine those who purchased it must feel kinda duped.. Kinda like what happened to Ts.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

ya, maybe you upset few ppl, but will make alot more ppl happy :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

WHY SHOULD I USE TWINMOTION ?

1. Because it is FREE !
2. Beause it is a real-time renderer that generates nice renders in seconds using Unreal render engine, and animations in minutes instead of hours !
3. Because it bring a terrain generator !
4. Because you can bring life to your scene with realistic 3D trees, grass, all animated with wind and weather conditions, add people, cars following paths, etc... !

CAN I ANIMATE IN TWINMOTION ?

TwinMotion is designed for architects : its interface is simple (non-efficient) and the animation tools are almost non existent. You can animate the camera, and play with the options of pre-animated objects from the library.
The only animation you can set for your objects is following a path (easy to do : add your object to the library then drag it from the user library onto a path).
No custom animation is possible yet.

HOW TO IMPORT YOUR 3D MODELS IN TWINMOTION ?

Loading trueSpace objects in TwinMotion is easy.

I tried different formats and the best workflow is to use Workspace's Collada export feature : the DAE file format.
For Modeler space users like me, this means that I have to open a Workspace window to force trueSpace Bridge to synchronize, OR simply make sure the Bridge is TURNED ON. This will let you export the selected objects in your Modeler scene using the top-right menu : File>Save>Collada_Export_File(*.dae).

The export will generate a *.dae file and also a folder containing the textures.

- In TwinMotion, simply clic the Import button, then select the Other files formats in the Import dialog box (by default collada files are hidden) and pick up your file.

NOTE 1 :
TwinMotion will import the textures, the UV maps, etc.
You can even select multiple objects in trueSpace (using the clic-drag, or by picking up several objects holding the CTRL key) and export as a single .dae file !
WARNING : By default, if an object has several materials, TwinMotion will split the object and make as many objects as materials. To keep you object unique, in the import options panel, choose Collapse : KEEP HIERARCHY.

NOTE 2 :
TwinMotion displays all your imported objects in the Import panel ; here there is a little pair of arrows that allows to re-load your imported object. This UPDATE feature is very useful if you are still editing your object in trueSpace ! You don't have to re-load your object : simply clic that arrows icon.
WARNING : The object updates its geometry and texture, but its location/rotation/scale are the original ones. In other words, it means that if you change your object location (for example to move it to an appropriate place on a landscape), the new location will be lost if you clic that update icon.
This means that you should not use TwinMotion's move/rotate/scale tools for your objects loaded from trueSpace. Use these tools for TwinMotion's library objects.

More remarks to come...
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Draise wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 00:49 Incredible they left this for free after the acquisition. Though I can imagine those who purchased it must feel kinda duped.. Kinda like what happened to Ts.
I've met an architect yesterday who paid 3500 euros for the software last year (with additional libraries, training and stuff).
She couldn't belive me.
She said : if TwinMotion is really free, then next time they need a professional software they will use cracked program instead !

I can imagine this makes small offices sick.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Regarding animation, I miss the fact that we can't even build simple movement like opening a door.

But things may change soon. See this video of one of the developers (and enjoy the frenchy accent) :

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Emmanuel wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 16:50
Draise wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 00:49 Incredible they left this for free after the acquisition. Though I can imagine those who purchased it must feel kinda duped.. Kinda like what happened to Ts.
I've met an architect yesterday who paid 3500 euros for the software last year (with additional libraries, training and stuff).
She couldn't belive me.
She said : if TwinMotion is really free, then next time they need a professional software they will use cracked program instead !

I can imagine this makes small offices sick.
Ah, that's sad to hear. Yeah, I only invest time and effort into free or opensource now - and will try Twinmotion a bit. I have it installed now. I've stopped that workflow of paid software from now on due to the fact that.. it seems investing cash (on top of time learning it all) is not really that fun to go with. First trueSpace, then Softimage.. GPL liscense with Bforartists or Blender and Unreal Engine feels a little more safe to me now.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Emmanuel wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 16:59 Regarding animation, I miss the fact that we can't even build simple movement like opening a door.

But things may change soon. See this video of one of the developers (and enjoy the frenchy accent) :

It's a UE thing.. I wonder if it's interpolable to UE directly, then you'd have all the animation and blueprint tools??
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

One thing though is that the free price tag is temporary ending sometime this year, so by the time they add any new features it may not be so free anymore.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com