vray shadow catcher shader?

LightWorks, VRay, Dribble, YafaRay and more..
W!ZARD
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

vray shadow catcher shader?

Post by W!ZARD »

Howdy ya'll - Here I am back again on one of my occasional visits to your great forums. And I'm wondering.... in tS7.6 on the model side using Lightworks there is a shader called a shadowcatcher. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a similar shader that works for the same purpose when rendering with tS vray? And if so where might I find it?

I can probably work out a workaround but if there's a way to do it in tS I'd rather do it that way.

Thanks in advance folks.

ATB

W!ZARD
Image WHERE MAGICK HAPPENS!!
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: vray shadow catcher shader?

Post by Emmanuel »

Unfortunately there is no shadow catcher for VRay.

I am thinking of a workaround though. You may have to render twice :
First, make your VRay render with grey/default materials where the shadow catcher should apply.
Next, render using Lightworks in PSD format so you can export the shadows layer.

Remember that shadow catcher shader is broken in tS7.6. You can pick up the shader from the object attached though and paste it on you own objects. This will work.
Attachments
shadow catcher.zip
(523 Bytes) Downloaded 264 times
W!ZARD
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: vray shadow catcher shader?

Post by W!ZARD »

Thanks for response. And thanks for the help. I suspected as much but I haven't got to where I am today without finding out that trueSpace has all sorts of tricks up its... er ... sleeves!

I like your suggestion for a work around but I've redesigned the shot so the shadow won't be in view. Figuring out how to do that means I'm ending up with a better animation anyway!

Cheers

W!ZARD
Image WHERE MAGICK HAPPENS!!