Rigging - problems solutions and observations

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Rigging - problems solutions and observations

Post by clintonman »

interpCompare800.jpg
Keyframe Interpolations compared. The keyframe interpolation script was run on the animation to produce results from left to right of bezier(the default interpolation), flat and linear. The bezier shows the feet sliding. Flat stops the sliding feet but the hips have a stop and go action. Linear has the proper motion for the feet and the hips, but it has a more mechanical feel to it. The combined interpolation video shows constant hip motion and less mechanical steps. First the animation was set to flat interpolation with the script then the root joint was manually edited in the FCurve view by setting the y motion to linear interpolation.

walkInterpolations - shows the 3 types side by side

combinedInterpolation - flat interpolations with the root joint manually changed to linear interpolation

So for IK animations I think flat interpolation type is the best default with individual joints and channels set to linear to correct any stop and go motion caused by the flat interpolations. More tests are needed. I suspect that some combination of bezier and flat might work even better.

The keyframe interpolation script is found here: http://www.clintons3d.com/plugins/trues ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
combinedInterpolation.zip
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 224 times
walkInterpolations.zip
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 231 times
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Wow, these are great! I will sit through them all and try figure them out, maybe play with a little animation - or redo my Minlis Rig version 0.3! Genious. And I am very thankful for them.

Concerning the FK/IK blend.. you said you could turn a controller into an FK fixed point (that wont move around or slide - like a fixed controller?) but now I would like to learn if you could blend the fixed FK controller into a IK controller that might be animated (FK/IK controll).. I'll experiment and try show you if I can... not sure if I'm being clear.

Concerning your last video - are you suggestion (without using your foot placement plugin) that one can use a mixture of linear and normal keyframes to not get shifting feet on the ankle pivot joint kyeframes? (for example)
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

Draise wrote:Wow, these are great! I will sit through them all and try figure them out, maybe play with a little animation - or redo my Minlis Rig version 0.3! Genious. And I am very thankful for them.

Concerning the FK/IK blend.. you said you could turn a controller into an FK fixed point (that wont move around or slide - like a fixed controller?) but now I would like to learn if you could blend the fixed FK controller into a IK controller that might be animated (FK/IK controll).. I'll experiment and try show you if I can... not sure if I'm being clear.

Concerning your last video - are you suggestion (without using your foot placement plugin) that one can use a mixture of linear and normal keyframes to not get shifting feet on the ankle pivot joint kyeframes? (for example)
Yes. Linear keyframes alone will get rid of any shifting motion in the IK and other joints/channels not controlled by IK can be set to non-linear via the FCurve editor for a smoother result. It's all experimental at this stage but it looks promising.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

pistonRig.jpg
Piston rig.

The IK handle on the right is connected to joint at the end of the chain on the left and the IK handle on the left is connected to the end joint on the right. A watchdog and a custom script makes the handles follow the position of the joints on the far left and right.
pistonRigNodes.jpg
The system only works if the joint is selected or the Watch Dog is visible in the link editor. The joint WldMatrix is the input to the Watch Dog node. The Watch Dog Regulator stops the script from firing too often.

At first I tried using the lookat tool, but it doesn't work properly inside of a actor/skeleton.

Edit: Oops, forgot to attach the scene file
Attachments
pistonRig.zip
(141.07 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Clinton Reese