Exporting to .stp or .step

Rhino169
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Exporting to .stp or .step

Post by Rhino169 »

Long time no talk! I have been on a mystical journey into the world of product design and have won some grant money in 2 shark tank type contests in my area and will hopefully be starting a Kickstarter page in the next coming months. I have been using my truespace program exclusively for the design the entire time along with a Rostock Max 3d printer to make prototypes in my basement. I am now at a point where I willl be sending files to a injection mold company to make molds for the various parts. I need a clean way to transfer all my design work out of truespace without having to recreate everything.

Can truespace somehow export to .stp or .step files (this being the format the mold shop is requesting)? Or is there a freeish software out there that can convert something truespace can export like .stl or .iges, etc to a .stp or .stl file?

Thanks for any assistance! :worship: :bananaguitar: :bananacool2:
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Exporting to .stp or .step

Post by clintonman »

Maybe this could work. It says it reads and writes the formats you mentioned.
https://www.freecadweb.org/
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Clintonman! Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

I had hoped that the truespace underground had maybe tackled this .stp exporting in a new version! Has there been any new stuff in the last year or so I should be checking out?

Thanks again! :bananacheers:
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

i was triying to export for engineers few times. The step format is very different from what tS does. Its not even polygonal model. So i guess you will not succeed in this either. If you do, let me know how you did that. I was only able to exchange my work via STL and rarely via IGES. But STL quite works. But its also polygonal model which is not suitable for engineering. You just have to model it in some CAD, maybe using 123D cad which is free is a good choice. I think there are other free and simple CAD modeling tools too.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

So far the FreeCAD link clintonman gave seems to be able to open and save the .iges file export from TS6.6. I have yet to give this file to my plastics shop to see if they can read it. I will let you know. Thanks!