Octaine render is 49 euros for 1 week only

Meki
Petty Officer Third Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Octaine render is 49 euros for 1 week only

Post by Meki »

http://www.refractivesoftware.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out. There is a demo to try it. I bought it a day before the 50% discount week so I'm a little gutted. Don't want anyone else to miss out on a fantastic deal. Well worth the look!
marcel
Captain

Re: Octaine render is 49 euros for 1 week only

Post by marcel »

Fantastic but i have not cuda on my old pc to test it. it would be interesting to see some test by members here. I follow this project...
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

That offer sounds appealing !

I downloaded the demo and want to try it but... there is no Import command in the interface and nothing happens if I drag/drop some OBJ objects into it.
A left-clic in their "LE" allows to load a mesh, but nothing shows up in the 3D window.

No manual nor tutorial comes with the demo to help...
Cayenne
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Cayenne »

there looks to be an overview video on this page which should help and show how to import your objects :

http://www.refractivesoftware.com/videos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I havent installed it yet but will give it a try later today or tomorrow as i was keeping an eye on this render engine previously.

regards
Paul
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Thank you Paul.
Using the first video tutorial, I could load and display some simple meshes. But any architecture scene with an average number of objects simply make Octane to crash. Even the demo scenes from their download page lead to crash at import.

I think 49 euros is too much for an early beta work in progress :mrgreen:
nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

I think they maybe panicing a bit, Indigo has a very nice looking gpu/cpu hybrid in development, so will Thea in the coming months.
I had the same thing as you Emmanuel with it crashing, I doubt I'd get it anyway, I own Thea and it does everything I need
Indigo can already handle SSS and scary big scenes, ok its not going to be as quick as a full GPU app but the material system is a lot easier to develop which seems to be the thing Octaine is behind on
Meki

Post by Meki »

Here is a few test renders on the basic settings that took 5 mins. I don't know how to use it yet so I can't show you what it can do, but there are plenty of renders on the site. Make sure you have cuda 3 drivers and the latest nvida video drivers as well. At the moment you can only load one obj at a time, so if you want more you need to put all your models in the same obj. There will be updates that allow for collada files. I'm impressed with the quality and ease of use so far.
Attachments
tiefighter02.png
stormtrooper octanerender01.png
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Meki wrote: I'm impressed with the quality and ease of use so far.
I´m definitly not that impressed. for what I need it doesnt have anything but the basic render output that
you would want for simple product renders. but if you need more then that your going to be disapointed.
Vue 8 infinite rendered the tie in 5 seconds with radiosity and the stormtrooper in 10 seconds with radiosity all at 600 x 800 px.
But if you use 7000 ties in clouds (volumetric) and an armee of stormtroopers around 7000 of them all with enviroment and fog and clouds...
Vue did the scene in around 14 minutes.......
One stormtrooper has 100000 polygons.. ! ;)
You can even instance a walkcycle of it that many times or a few walkcycles........
Peter
Attachments
stormtr.jpg
tie.jpg
storm.jpg
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

iam not supporting CUDA... iam looking forward some nice renderer using OpenCL.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Meki

Post by Meki »

Those are some nice renders Rayman. Im sure when I can aford $895 ill look in to getting a better render program. Obviously there are many different render programs out there and octaine is still in beta so not all its features are implamented. I just posted it for anyone who was interested.