Post by Finis »

Those are cool. Such a variety too.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: [Blog] Trinumedia

Post by Draise »

Finis wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 01:19 Those are cool. Such a variety too.
Thanks finis. I love these kinds of things. I think it was really one of my last 3D projects in trueSpace, come to think of it... =,( Imagine if the last financial crisis of 2008 hadn't happened, I wonder where trueSpace would be today.

Anyway! Now doing rendering:
[Blog] Test Renders… A Ritual

I have been getting into the habit of doing test renders before delivery, mainly to give clients a chance to review – but more for me to iron out bugs. Blender doesn’t have a “show render result” toggle in viewport even in Eevee…. I miss this from 2.79 a lot….
Attachments
bforartists_2020-03-31_21-46-03wm.png
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Not sure about the "show render result". Using the dots at the top or maybe bottom in Blender 2.82 I see various viewport displays like wireframe. One of them shows a render in the viewport. In Blender style there are many viewport controls scattered around.

What is it syncing with?
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

It's a batch render script, so it loads the scene, syncs with the right linked data, then starts rendering.

The Overlays toggle is nice, but it doesn't show or hide "Hidden in Render" toggles. The "hidden in render" will then show in the viewport, but not on render.. which is annoying, because there is no visual feedback to prep to render till you actually hit render or check your outliner conceptually or routinely..
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Still not sure what you want to do. As far as matching the viewport render to the final render there are several visibility controls available in the outliner including show in viewport and show in render. By default most are not active but you can activate the ones you want.

If you want to render what you see in the viewport there are render selections on the View menu.

Not saying this is as good as what 2.79 had. Just that there are so many controls for so many things there probably is a way to do it if you can find it. One of Blender's weaknesses is things are spread all over many panels and menus. If there isn't maybe you can write a script to do what you want.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Yeah... I think I might have to learn how to make an addon for this and add some rendering streamline workflows. Because yes, you could technically match the viewport visibility with the render visibility somehow in the outliner, then that would work fine - having a button to do that... but so far it's not like that.
The reason is.. usually my setups start to have thousands of elements in dozens of scenes in deep hierarchies.. and something can be missed oh so very easily, and you can only see it after you've rendered..
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Ah I see. 2.79 had a quick way to do that globally where now you must use scattered tools and search through many elements.

I've been thinking about how to organize the many "shots" in my Christmas short film in terms of Blender files, or scenes, or what. I'll formulate the question better and ask you about it later in thread for that.

Maybe there already is an add on or script for it. Other people probably want that 2.79 function back too so they might have made one.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Finis wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 23:49 Ah I see. 2.79 had a quick way to do that globally where now you must use scattered tools and search through many elements.

I've been thinking about how to organize the many "shots" in my Christmas short film in terms of Blender files, or scenes, or what. I'll formulate the question better and ask you about it later in thread for that.

Maybe there already is an add on or script for it. Other people probably want that 2.79 function back too so they might have made one.
Using scenes for shots is pretty good. Also binding your cameras to markers is a great way to do it in a single scene.

I might have to dig around different areas for different rendering addons, just to see. I know of another addon that binds sequencer strips to cameras - which is like editing your 3D cameras/scenes in a video editor. That too could be a method.. but easiest is just by binding the camera to a marker in the timeline.

Other than improving rendering, in my free time I try learn things for personal goals and projects.. like environment design, and to do that in Blender, Ineed a way to blend materials between objects (like mud rain splash back on rocks) to make things more natural. Here is a quick social post on it:
[Blog] Learning how to blend Mats
Every now and then, between clients.. I still got the curious technical learning drive to try figure things out.. like how to blend materials between objects by proximity and direction in Bforartists. Later.. in Unreal Engine.
Attachments
bforartists_2020-03-29_18-23-46wm.png
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

[Blog] Making Quick Flags

Not really into cloth, but I made some quick cloth sims for a quick render. I really need to get into cloth more often, it's a lot of fun. I saved this one to my library.
Attachments
bforartists_2020-03-30_12-07-17wm.png
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

[Blog] Mastering Polyquilt

I've been doing some retopology using Polyquilt. This is what Polybuild of 2.8 should be, it's such a great addon. The pre-highlight workflow is just so comfortable and fast.. and it's fun for strips. Highly recommend 9/10.

https://blender-addons.org/polyquilt-addon/
Attachments
bforartists_2020-03-10_09-15-28wm.png