Earlier on this month I got a project from a client to build a whole world and series to teach a number or urban ethics. I'm building the pilot now over a period of a month and a half. Here is a small update on the preproduction phase - showcasing a little on my though processes and what I do to build the project. All of it is mostly ideas and concepts. Many thanks to my brother for doing a lot of the concept artwork for the characters. They are great!
---Software I have used so far for the project:
Pureref (Free or Donation)
WPS office (Windows) (Free)
Libre Office (Free and Opensource)
Snipping Tool (Windows) (Free)
Blender (Free and Opensource)
Softimage (EOL) - Softimage Mod Tool (Free)
That's awesome Draise. Have you have much success with the XSI Mod Tool? I have both version 6 and 7.5, but the X exporter is a bit to new for the format I use for Battlezone 2. I like the feel of Softimage and am truly saddened that it was discontinued. Truespace went the same way, but happily it's still available for download. Leroy.
Been working hard on animation layout these past couple of weeks. I hit a snag for about a week where my 8 or more rigs loaded up dragged the framerate to like 1fps - rendering animation work useless.. So I had to find a way around it.
I have managed to do the traffic mostly, with help of my work buddy Memo. I used ICE to make the curve paths dynamic - and again ICE from someone elses wheel to make the wheels move dynamically to the floor without any simulations.
I have also..... nearly done the first version of animated animatic - ready for clean up and client review and then the final 2 weeks of hard labour of making it pretty and all together.
Project is finally done. I finished the pilot episode.
I currently am under an NDA, but if you would like to see the full 2 minutes in it's glory! Do PM me! I think I can share it with a few select few.
It was a fun project.
In total I must have worked about 430 hours on it. My brother Miguel and my 3D disciple Memo did about 110 hours together. I did all the rendering from viewport OpenGL captures (2 passes, depth and beauty of the characters) and the background beauty with DIrectX 11 (from Mach Studio Pro 2). Most of the modeling was either done in trueSpace, or in 3DSmax, which Memo uses. I did everythign else in Softimage.
Other than that, Krita was used for concept art, design and animation characterization. Also Pureref extensively, and WPS office for the 1D aspect of things.
Composites and editing was all done in Blender. Now I have some time to do.. stuff! Like panic about my next step, and work on things. Though.. I do have a meeting with the client. She is tentatively wanting to start the second episode. WIsh me luck! I really need to prepare..