Draises Personal Updates

Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Draises Personal Updates

Post by Draise »

07/08/15

Signed another deal for another 2 wings in the next week of work. I also have 3 weeks to finish another screen stand animation. My past month work as a technical director came out to be a bit of a financial bust. The capitol investor has his assets fall through, so I worked on a 7:46 animatic with two other illustrators for.. very very little. Now I'm in the negatives with my bills coming up in a week. I have to push my work a bit to try get paid for bill time..........

I'm freaking out, wish I got paid.

My girlfriend is also moving to France start of September. This month is my last with her for some time.... I really wish it wasn't me being so busy hustling for money.

Oh well...

Started refocusing my attention to try become an independent production house, or studio. I can't always work on my own, so I want a studio that is self sufficient... I'm tired of freelancing and working on big projects of other people in this country that amount to very little due to just no investors here, and working globally is hard when you are in a not so known country (concerning the industry). Hopefully I'll dedicate to that more full time September after these jobs, and get some more English classes for sustainability.

Thought to share....
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Draises Personal Updates

Post by v3rd3 »

Sorry to hear your troubles Draise. I hope you have a contract you can use to get some more money from your project financier.

Your GF moving must be very stressful. I had a long distance romance when I was younger that was a couple hundred miles between us... I can only imagine the stress of an ocean.

We all wish you well.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Thanks man, means a lot. You guys are my cornerstone through it all!

I am thinking to.. use some of my work and get some reels and portafolio up as a studio, but that means some webdesign.

Yeah, this will be my second long distance relationship, the other.. didn't work out after about 10 months apart over two sessions (one of us visited for 2 months half way between that year).

Anyway, modeling away now. :lol:
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Draise wrote:Thanks man, means a lot. You guys are my cornerstone through it all!

I am thinking to.. use some of my work and get some reels and portafolio up as a studio, but that means some webdesign.

Yeah, this will be my second long distance relationship, the other.. didn't work out after about 10 months apart over two sessions (one of us visited for 2 months half way between that year).

Anyway, modeling away now. :lol:
Landing jobs in the 3d industry is a tough job.. even tougher then photography
because jou need to work on the projects for a long time and the people think its done quickly....!
There is a niche though that you should consider and that is working on models
and renders of building sites!
It was the advice I gave to Finis some time ago... I still think its a good idea!
There is money in that business... and you dont need to live in one of the 3d centers!
greetings
Peter
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

That's a good idea. I have a friend who can find me jobs like that. I am not too keen on architecture, but here there is quite a large market for that. I will try do a showcase scene or renders or realtime walkthrough just to showcase my ability, and share them around.

I think my key to more work is showing and allowing myself to be known.

Right now I'm on two deadlines for the wings, but I am about 50% done on the wings and about 30% done on the other. I have 7 more days for both.. and my girlfriends birthday celebrations.

Wish me luck!
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Delivered, one a bit late, but they tolerated the lateness. The quality is certainly more than they paid. So it turned out well. The other I delivered plus some (re did a wing) to cator to their tastes (as they didn't have any to begin with) and eventually I started over working for them. In the end I had to say, you know what.. I won't work more, I'm loosing time and money because you don't really know what you want in the beginning of work, and any changes you want are destructive.

I had my internet stolen last Sunday night/morning, street people like copper cabling. So.. been out of the loop a bit, but still around!

I have alot of new animations to share soon, but right now I have two more deadlines, new work!!! I am actually living off what I do in 3D, it's great.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Yep, sometimes a businessman can't be a nice guy. Keep succeeding in this business!
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Have been busy the past couple of days.. but I miss you guys and the forums are quiet.

I have managed to get a couple of jobs outside the current work. I did a screen stand edit, re-render. I rendered out some animation loops for my old Lord of the Flowers project to keep the person who invested in that (but didn't pay me in full) happy (as he was getting depressed that it would ammount to nothing) and started working with my illustrator brother and father (who does puppets and television for local channels here) on outsourcing on making a mascot for another company.

We then designed and illustrated the character and now they are making it into a real mascot.

I have to do it in 3D the next couple of days come to think of it...

In fact I am really backlogged with it all. I am not sure it was a good idea expanding everything. I need more hands.

Any volunteers? I could try wire really inflation devalued cash over through western union or something.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I'd help if I had time and appropriate software.

Expanding is good just don't expand too fast. Increase your ability first then take more work. Ability includes resources like your network of assistants. Don't be afraid to say "no". When you are loaded with work just honestly tell potential customers that and estimate when you could start on their project.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker