Post by Rhino169 »

Very nice work! :bananacool2:

Both Modelling and Rendering. :worship:
MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Some IM Weapons

Post by MikomDude »

As you may remember I did a couple of weapon designs for Interstellar Marines about a year ago. Eventually other things got in the way of me making more but now I figured I'd go back to the TCO-14, this was probably everyones favorite and the devs even hinted towards putting it into the game at some point.

Well, I went back to that design and made some improvements, not just aesthetically but also in terms of functionality.

Full View

Full View

The Tactical Combat Operation-series 14 sub machine gun is a bullpup style firearm developed by Trident Firearms. It is a mid to close range firearm that fires Trident Firearms' 3.52x32mm pistol rounds from a 20 round or 30 round skewed box magazine. Under normal conditions it fires 600 rounds/min with a muzzle velocity of 700 m/s. It has full-automatic and semi-automatic fire-modes.

The TCO-14 A1 has a few improvements over the base gun. It features a tighter bolt system, elevated rail and adjustable cheek-rest.
MikomDude
Captain

Re: Some IM Weapons

Post by MikomDude »

2021 Update.

Here's the TCO.14 Redux version:
TCO-14 Square.jpg

Animation:

bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

omg... love that animation... the assembly and the detailed action of that long stroke gas action! You seem to know something about guns. Cool design! Really amazing job!
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Excellent! Great CG. Looks cool for games and is practical. Informative and clearly presented.

The functional design seems durable, easy cleaning, simpler than some weapons, and reliable if not cleaned well. The ejector spring looks simple, durable, and having it probably would reduce jams vs. a system with no spring. Dual safeties! Both preventing the trigger from being pulled. Good.

Have you seen this one? (AK47) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQLFVpOYm4
This one shows how burst mode works. (M16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMIBUIN30yU
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Thanks guys! Yeah a fair bit of research went into the design. @Finis, I did come across those videos as well and they were very helpful in visualising the interior motion.

Originally it was only supposed to be a more realistic version of the TCO-14 on the outside but I ended up making the full interior first, and then the mesh around it. At that point I thought I may just as well do something with all that detail, hence I made the video, which took quite a while especially with another project getting in between. I think I started this project about three-four weeks ago.

I did a few test renders first but the final render took about 30+ hours in total, over the weekend.
Finis wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 00:32 This one shows how burst mode works. (M16) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMIBUIN30yU
I was considering adding a burst fire mode at some point but given the fact it's a bullpup style weapon (most of which don't even have a firemode switch), I decided it didn't make a lot of sense. Even the firemode selector it has now isn't really meant to be used in the heat of combat, it's just there so in case you want to switch, you can without having to replace the whole firing mechanism.

I have since seen a bullpup gun that does have a firemode switch in front of the trigger but it works very differently from a traditional switch and isn't directly integrated into the firing mechanism.