Re: Mikom Ya's SPACE 3000 Universe - Comment

Post by MikomDude »

Thanks guys! =)
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Mikom Ya's SPACE 3000 Universe

Post by Finis »

If you are not working as a designer then you should! Logos, spaceships, ...
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

I'm afraid I'm not working with 3D. I do some simple webdesign and other computer stuff for small company who needs IT assistance. It doesn't really pay... so yes, I'd love to work with Design but unfortunately work like that is pretty hard to find in the forests of Sweden, and how many companies would be willing to accept someone who can only work over the internet? not many I bet...

So yeah, for now, my work can only be viewed in small corners of the internet. :|
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

2D, 3D, whatever. You have abilities (creativity) and can gain from them but you have to make it happen. Try approaching local companies with your ideas (signs, business cards, logos, more creative things). Tell how design would help them and offer to do it. Build a resume/portfolio and start your own business. Don't look for companies who will hire you over the internet. Look for customers who will hire you over the internet.

You could probably make a little money on Cafe Press or Zazzle putting designs on T-shirts and stuff. I'll bet Star Trek fans would love stuff with your Trek like ships on it. Creativity is a powerful tool. Use it to invent ways to profit from your abilities.

Marcel is a professional freelance designer. Maybe he can give you advice about getting started.
Last edited by Finis on 21 Aug 2012, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Well like I said, there aren't really any local companies who work with 2D/3D art here. It's a small town. However, tourism is pretty big here so perhaps some camping or some such need some designing done, I could probably advertise myself better, you're right there.

As for Cafe Press and Zazzle, I can honestly say I've never heard of those sites but I'm getting a feeling I should have. What is it they do?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I mean companies that need designs done not ones that do design work. They need style. They might not know that they need it. A restaurant has uninteresting menus and a boring sign. They need a designer. Your appetizingly designed menus and eye catching sign bring more customers and you offer to design a pattern for their tablecloths, style their "wait to be seated" signs, business cards, logo, ... you create a consistent style that identifies their restaurant.

Zazzle and Cafe Press work like this: You sign up as a seller, create designs to go on their merchandise, and upload them. The merchandise is clothing, coffee mugs, post cards, art prints (bet Trekkers would by HD prints of your ships!), etc. When someone buys an item the company handles the money, manufactures the item with your design, ships it to the buyer, and you get a little money. I made a design for T-shirts and coffee mugs on Zazzle. It was not difficult. I'll get about $2 per sale. Watch the other sellers though. They will copy your ideas.

Here's Zazzle and my store there with one design.
Zazzle
My Zazzle store
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Indeed. I'll see if I can post an ad in the local paper. It gets distributed to a lot of people in and outside of the town. That should catch an eye or two.

As for Zazzle. I'll create an account and see what happens.
MikomDude
Captain

Mikom Ya's SPACE 3000 Universe - Ship Landing

Post by MikomDude »

So I was thinking today about ships and flying and energies and stuff. I came to start thinking about how large ships would land. The standard scifi magic hovering was obviously something I wouldn't do since that wouldn't be the kind of realism I'm looking for.

My original reason for starting to think about how ships would stay in the air came from me watching Battlestar Galactica. I was looking at the Raptors and I was wondering how the hell those un-aerodynamic things could stay in the air. It would obviously take a lot of thrust and energy to keep it in the air.

To cut a long story short, me thinking of one thing lead to me thinking of another and before long I was thinking about my Space 3000 universe which is where these scifi-ish thoughts usually take me. So how would a ship land? Well the smaller ships are usually VTOL with thrusters on the bottom of the ship similar to the BSG Raptors (only with a more aerodynamic design). However the larger ships, and I'm talking the ships that are over half a kilometer long (like the Aloadae II I poster earlier), they would simply use up way to much energy trying to land in the VTOL kind of way. Landing gears are out as well since a ship of this size would produce to much friction, both in the wheel mechanics and between the tires/ground so that would simply be to risky. Besides, maintenance would be a bitch. Think of all the poor engineers.

Then I got the idea. An idea that would shift the energy consumption from ship to ground allowing the ship to land without using a huge amount of energy. But where would the stopping force come from then? Well the ground. So I got the idea that what if the airstrip itself provided the entire force of keeping the spacecraft on(off) the ground.

Large ships would land on airstrips with a built-in combination of air pressure and magnets holding the ship of the ground during approach. The ship would then use its own forward thrusters to slow down until finally coming to a halt at the end of the airstrip. There it would deploy its landing gear on either the ground or a movable platform.

Think of it like airhockey only with half a kilometer long ships.

This way a lot of the energy would be used more efficiently and the ship itself would only have to provide the forward stopping force (by burning their forward thrusters at full). The downside might be that the landing strips would have to be pretty damn long, many kilometers long. Just like for modern space shuttles.
Even so, I think it's a great idea considering the alternatives. I'm just wondering if it has been thought of before.

So here is my concept of how it would look:

Full View

Last edited by MikomDude on 20 Aug 2015, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Cool. It also could be the way they take off. This landing method, and the implication that the big ships aren't always in space, gives a reason for the wings, aerodynamic shape, and design with a top and bottom. It is designed like an aircraft because sometimes it is.

Maglev has been around a long time but the air thing, the air/mag combination, and using these for a landing strip are new to me. I see landing/take off on water, in an ocean or a big lake, as the way to do this but this landing strip and method provides for spectacular images and tense moments for your story.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Finis wrote:Cool. It also could be the way they take off. This landing method, and the implication that the big ships aren't always in space, gives a reason for the wings, aerodynamic shape, and design with a top and bottom. It is designed like an aircraft because sometimes it is.

Maglev has been around a long time but the air thing, the air/mag combination, and using these for a landing strip are new to me. I see landing/take off on water, in an ocean or a big lake, as the way to do this but this landing strip and method provides for spectacular images and tense moments for your story.
Yes this would also be how they take of, though I'm still working on that.

As for the landing on a lake, I considered them landing on water but it would be very stressful on the craft not to mention that landing it in a lake probably wouldn't be very good for the environment since these kind of ships would landing and taking of all the time.