NH90 NATO Frigate Helicopter

MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by MikomDude »

The NHindustries NH90 NATO Frigate Helicopter.
The NH90 was developed in response to NATO requirements for a battlefield helicopter that was also capable of being operated in the naval environment.

The model took about a week to build. It has a fully built suspension, rotor assembly (main and aft) and a partially built interior (cockpit).

Full View

Full View

These are not the final renders, or well, they are but I'm expecting there to be more. I think I will also use this model as a sort of test-dummy for future projects where I may need an extremely high geometry model to play around with.
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Re: NH90 NATO Frigate Helicopter

Post by Dragneye »

Bleepin' Beautiful dude!
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

Sweet! I'm guessing that with the prices on 3D printers dropping down over the years that 3D model makers might actually be able to make some serious extra cash producing physical models for paying clients. I remember the good ole days when I had a fine collection of the old plastic based 3D models. Just food for thought though. Leroy.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

This is very nice modeling! Great attention to the details.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Revisited this old model and imported it into Blender:

NH90 Render 04.png
NH90 Render 02.png
NH90 Render 01.png

Was quite the hassle, especially considering that I've tried to export this thing for years and trueSpace always crashed. This time it worked though and after going through all ~120 or so materials and looking for the old textures, it's now a working model inside Blender.

By the way, it's funny reading my original post about using this as a test model which obviously never happened since this model I could barely even open on most computers without it crashing tS let alone use it for anything outside of viewing it in the viewport.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

I've seen this myself when I used to export models for conversion to other model formats. What I found out through trial & error was that some models needed to be triangulated to get these models to load correctly in some applications. It seems that high poly models cause issues with some model formats.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Well yes, I don't think I've every managed to export a single 3D model without triangulating it first, not from trueSpace anyway. But a lot of the time trueSpace just crashes or freezes when trying to triangulate or export a highpoly model. Clintonmans FBX exporter works 99% of the time though, which is fantasic. :bananathumb: