TrueSpace to Poser WorkFlow

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

TrueSpace to Poser WorkFlow

Post by Steinie »

Here is an overview of JeffRoig's workflow used in his
"From trueSpace to the Great Space in Animating" awesome tutorial.

http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... 3&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the process that I use to create the characters with the various morphs including mouth movements.
1) Create the character in TS (Base model)
2) Export it out as an OBJ file.
3) Import it into Argile to do any fine work or touch up.
4) Export it out of Argile as a OBJ file.
5) Import the OBJ file create in Argile into Poser.
6) Using the grouping tool I delete all the groups created.
7) I then go into the setup room turning it into a character.
8) Perform grouping and name all the groups correctly.
9) Import bones or create bones and attach them to the character.
10) Go back to the Pose room and verify that all the joints move correctly and adjust as needed.
11) Export the head as a morph target and I name it base_head.
12) Import the base_head morph target into argile and then using the move tool I open the mouth.
13) I then export that as for example (MouthOpen.obj)
14) Import the MouthOpen.obj into Poser as a morph target for the head and a Dial is created called MouthOpen.
Note: For each mouth movement you want to create you must create a new morph target and import it into Poser.
The same applies for hair movement or eyes blink or twinkle nose or any other morph you want to perform.
You can animate the character in Poser (Key Frame it) and then save the scene as a PZ3.
VUE gives you the ability to bring the animated character in VUE and you can then make your character walk through the dessert or anything else.

Thanks Jeff!!! :bananacheers:

Steinie

Rayman posted excellent links showing us how to take our newly morphed Poser objects
and render them in VUE.

http://www.geekatplay.com/tutorials/area51/klank1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.geekatplay.com/tutorials/area51/klank2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.geekatplay.com/tutorials/echocity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pugman 1
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: TrueSpace to Poser WorkFlow

Post by pugman 1 »

Hi steinie, how is poser ? i have just got poser 5
from ebay 50 euros and i can upgrade to poser 8
for 130 euros ,just wanted to know if it is as good as they say
Thanks Ralph
PS, is argile realy needed?
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

pugman 1 wrote:Hi steinie, how is poser ? i have just got poser 5
from ebay 50 euros and i can upgrade to poser 8
for 130 euros ,just wanted to know if it is as good as they say
Thanks Ralph
PS, is argile realy needed?
Yes it is realy good. Its also good to have and learn the free daz studio too as its sort of the better half of the whole story.
Its a must have if you want to do character animation for Vue...
Peter
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

Pugman1,
I bought Poser 7 and didn't feel like I needed 8 for what I want to do.
Many things are happening in my personal life currently taking up my time so my 3D
work has temporarily slowed down. (But not for long!). (I owe Jeff Roig a Masterpiece!!!
:lol: :worship: )
It is hard for me to say if Argile would be necessary for your work. I bet trueSpace workSpace
could do it all but just not as easily.
That is the problem when you are learning multiple software, be the jack of all trades, master of none.
This is the reason I'm focusing on one program at a time. (heck I'm still learning trueSpace after
20 something years. ;) :lol: )
pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 »

Thanks Steienie, iwill get it and learn it ,i to still learn ts like every one
Rayman , Ihave daz studio 3 ,i would like the advaned daz but hard to
get in germany . poser and vue i can get here.vue esprit is next on my list.
with the free daz i cant get my model in with bone and ther is no bone room,
thats why poser.
DanX
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by DanX »

You can use Daz studio to rig a model but you have to purchase the skeleton setup tools from Daz. But there is no IK in Daz studio. You can create a chain but it has to be exported to poser if you want to use it.
Also you can use Daz studio to animate characters for Vue you just have to export in .dae format.

You should know that Vue will read PZ3 files but only if you have poser installed on the same machine. Basically Vue uses poser as a plug-in. So you cant export a pz3 file for someone else to use in Vue unless they have poser installed also.
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

If anyone wants to save Jeff Roig's excellent tutorial (trueSpace to Poser workflow)
so you can reference it later or print it, I created a Word document including his graphics for your
benefit. Thanks again Jeff!
Attachments
trueSpace to Poser_JeffRoig.zip
(452.92 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Thank you both.
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

All,
Here are some updated helpful facts to the original post in this thread from Jeff.

I have been working on improving the work flow between TrueSpace and Poser and have come up with some very helpful facts that you will want to know before you begin.

My previous steps in designing a character for Poser stated that you design in TrueSpace and then export as a OBJ and import into Poser and do your grouping in Poser.
While parts of this are correct other parts are not and will cause problems when trying to create eye movements.
Here is my revised instructions for TrueSpace to Poser.
CREATION
1) Create your character in TS as you would.
2) Use TS to name all your body parts with the following exceptions.
a) If the forearm and shoulder are separate body parts that intersect each other then naming the parts in TS do not matter as you will have to do your grouping in Poser to get the correct bend.
b) when doing parts of the face that you want to move separate the eyes then the naming does matter.

For this example I will use the head and its parts.
The head consists of the following parts or atleast mine do.
head, rEye, lEye, lowTeeth, upTeeth, rBrow, lBrow
The total group of these objects are called face.
When doing a head only make sure that when you export the object you do not use any of the internal names that are with in the group as the file name, for example you would not save the file as Head.obj.
If you do you will receive an error which will cause the grouping to go wrong.

TEXTURING
1) Use the exported OBJ and import it into UVMapper, if you get the message asking you to correct the UV map then choose yes.
2) Separate all the body parts out so you can easily texture them, I move the eyes off to the side.
3) After you are finished save the texture map and then save the object, do not use the same name as you did from TS.

GROUP EDITING
Once you have imported your OBJ file into Poser do the following, once again I am using my above body part names in this example.
1) Go into the setup room
2) Click on the grouping icon and look through the list of groups shown there, you will see the following: face, head, rEye, lEye, lowTeeth, upTeeth, rBrow, lBrow
3) Delete the following groups face, lowTeeth, upTeeth, rBrow, lBrow
4) Select the group called head and use the add group button to add all the groups you just deleted to the head, so that now the head is everything except for the right and left eyes.
5) Look through the list of items in the group list and you will see a item called NO_BONE, delete this.

*The above applies not to just the head but the complete character model, while this is just an example of the head the same rules apply to setting up a complete character.

SETUP
Setting up the bones.
1) Select the bone tool and create your bone for the head name the bone, the internal name always has to be the same as the name you used in the grouping, so if you used head (all lowercase) then use the same name for the internal name of the bone, the field called NAME has to be different than the internal name you can use Head (upper case H and the rest lower case) thats enough to create a different name from the internal name.
2) Select the Traslate/Pull icon and position the head bone where you want it, center works the best.
3) Select the bone tool again and create another bone starting at the tip of the head bone.
4) Name the bone correctly for lEye or rEye.
5) Once again select the Translate/Pull icon and select the head bone.
6) Select the bone tool again and create another bone starting at the tip of the head bone and then name it.
7) Select the Translate/Pull icon and move one eye bone one at a time, you will be able to stretch the bone away from the head bone and see a thin white line that joins the two of them, this is what you want so you can correctly position each individual eye bone to the correct eye.

The next steps assume that you have completed setting up your character and all the bones are in place and you did not get the error message saying that there are polygons that are not grouped to a bone.

1) Go into the joint editor located under the Window Menu.
2) Select one body part at a time and then hit the align button, this will correctly setup the center point for each body part to bone.
3) You will most likely have to adjust the joint rotation for each bone unless you are just real lucky, NOT...
4) Test each individual part out to make sure it rotates correctly and does not create a crease when bending.
5) Click on the edit menu and select restore figure, this will put your character back at a zero (neutral) pose.
6) Save the character.