From TrueSpace to the Great Space in animating

jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

From TrueSpace to the Great Space in animating

Post by jeffroig »

This is my place holder for the tutorial I will be doing please check back on Saturday..
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: From TrueSpace to the Great Space in animating

Post by jeffroig »

Are you ready to learn and willing well get ready it is here and I will only ask one thing of all that view this please do not ask or comment on anything until you have read the full tutorial and tried it as some steps may not make sense until you have moved onto the next one.

Creating Custom Character in Poser
Note: Please do not start this tutorial unless you plan to finish it as once you start you can not stop and save your work until you have the bones fitted inside the character.
This process took me two years to get down to the simple instructions I have provided so if you don’t catch on right away don’t get frustrated just try again and don’t be afraid to ask questions. These instructions will be as simple as possible so that they will not confuse you.
I will be referencing TrueSpace as the modeler in the tutorial but you can use which every 3D modeler you prefer.

1) After you have created you character in TS then glue all the parts together using glue as sibling, don’t name the parts or try doing the hierarchy as it will be waisted time.
2) Export your character out as an OBJ file.
3) Open up Poser and then click on file and import and select OBJ as the type.
4) Import your character into Poser.
5) This is what you should see if you are in full textured view.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Last edited by jeffroig on 09 Mar 2010, 01:35, edited 2 times in total.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

6) Make sure your character is level with the ground and not below it, the Y dial will raise your character up and down, use the right or left view so you can see the ground line and raise the character as shown below.
Attachments
Image1b.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

7) Open up the grouping tool and delete all the groups, keep deleting until no groups show up or red areas appear. The below picture is before the groups are deleted.
Attachments
Image2.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

8) This is what you should have after all the groups are deleted.
Attachments
Image3.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

9) Next you will want to enter the setup room where your object will be turned into a figure.
Attachments
Image4.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

10) Click on the OK button and continue.
11) Now you are going to add the bones .
12) You can use any predesigned character for the bones or create your own bones, for this tutorial I will be using the bones of Barney the cartoon character.
Attachments
Image7.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

13) Double click on the Barney character from the list as if you were going to add barney in the scene.
14) You will see only the bones appear and not the character (Object).
15) Align the bones so they fit within your character. If you click on the hip you can move the complete bone structure up or down or left or right, first use this method to match the bones up the best as possible, centering them, next click on the individual bones that do not align up and resize them to match the character.
16) You can see from the image that I have aligned the bones and resized them to match the character. You will also see that I have deleted the Left Toe and Left Foot Bone for my character, as you can do also, if your character does not have a left hand or arm or any of the other body parts delete the bone associated with it before proceeding as the next step of creating the groups will be covered.
17) Grouping argh what a hassle you will learn to say the same thing as I have your eyes will hurt and you will want to walk away and curse the Poser program but have patients because the fruits of your labor will pay off in the end.
18) For every bone that you have there must be a group assigned to it, we will do the basic then do the complicated process.
19) First the basic, you have your bones aligned and are ready and want you character to move and flow like the character from Toy Story or Shrek well here we go.
20) While still in the setup room click on the grouping icon and you will see the following image.
Attachments
Image8.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

21) Click on the button that says Add All, Poser will do its best to automatically assign the groups to the proper bones, trust me it is never correct
Attachments
Image9.jpg
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

22) You can see that while Poser did group your character into sections according to the bones you have that they are not correct, click on the down arrow next to the grouping title to scroll through the groups and you will see that it has included parts from the head into the arm or legs into the hip. This is ok because at least we have a character with bones in it.
23) At this point you can leave the setup room and go to the pose room.
Attachments
Image10.jpg