Railroad Crossing

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Railroad Crossing

Post by Finis »

Good work. It has a different style or mood that most of your pictures. Although you do an excellent job in your usual style it is good to see you do a different one.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Breech Block
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Breech Block »

Very nice indeed, tahnoak.
There is one thing though, if the sun is over to the left, I would expect the road's crash barrier not to be so brightly lit as it would be in its own shadow. But as it is, the barrier doesn't appear to have one?
Still a great piece of work though. Good stuff.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Thanks Finis...

Breech, thanks but guess what....the sun is actually shining from right to left. I thought the same thing when it was rendering but the shadow you see on the road is the one that is off the screen. The shadow of the barrier is hard to see but it is there and is narrow from right to left :)

I am working on utility poles now...not a whole lot of resources that I can find about the gizmos that are on top of utility poles and I don't know squat about them except they are tall and have wires running between them.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Okay folks, here is an update to the scene. You will see that I have the utility poles up and I was able to figure out the wires issue (thanks to an old tip from the WWOTW). Though I still think the wires may be a bit big for the scale. We'll see.

Also, I was really bothered by the overall graininess of the renders and the similarities in color throughout the image (top image). I messed around a little with the atmosphere editor in Vue (bottom image) and voila, TOO MUCH AMBIENT LIGHT! DOH!!!!!

Now there is a much better contrast of colors. Still some tweaks to do but I am liking this so far. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I appreciate everyone's input and for just taking the time to look.
Attachments
Gate7_VUE.jpg
Gate9_VUE.jpg
compPanda
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by compPanda »

tahnoak wrote:Okay folks, here is an update to the scene. You will see that I have the utility poles up and I was able to figure out the wires issue (thanks to an old tip from the WWOTW). Though I still think the wires may be a bit big for the scale. We'll see.

Also, I was really bothered by the overall graininess of the renders and the similarities in color throughout the image (top image). I messed around a little with the atmosphere editor in Vue (bottom image) and voila, TOO MUCH AMBIENT LIGHT! DOH!!!!!

Now there is a much better contrast of colors. Still some tweaks to do but I am liking this so far. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I appreciate everyone's input and for just taking the time to look.
This looks good. A question - is this a typical american railroad crossing?
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

It is based on a typical American Railroad crossing but I took some liberties with the road markings. I am not done by any means and know that I also need to add some more detail to the crossing gate such as reflectors and there are some signs that need to come up. You won't find this crossing anywhere but in my imagination. :)

Having said that, any suggestions, recommendations or corrections are always welcome.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

tahnoak wrote:You won't find this crossing anywhere but in my imagination. :)
No more Tahnoak! Now we can find it here! That's the cool thing about 3D ;) :lol:
It's is coming nicely
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

leonregis wrote:
tahnoak wrote:You won't find this crossing anywhere but in my imagination. :)
No more Tahnoak! Now we can find it here! That's the cool thing about 3D ;) :lol:
It's is coming nicely

Very true! It is out there for the world to see. :)
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Night shot.

Cleaned up some details and added lights to the shack, gate arm and the crossing signal.

Obviously I still need to do some clean up with the lights. Lights are not as easy to use in Vue as they are in trueSpace but I'll get there.
Attachments
Gate11_Night.jpg
Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

Very nice, I like the night shot. Great lighting.