Various Lighting Tests

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Various Lighting Tests

Post by tahnoak »

I created this WIP to try some of the lighting techniques that I am seeing in my new book (Digital Lighting & Rendering) by Jeremy Birn. Excellent book thus far.

Anyways, this will be a simple scene with a lot of different lighting setups.

Here is the first one:

Lighting
1 x spot light
Hue: 180
Saturation: 0.027
Intensity: 1.71
Shadow Map shadows
solid shadows
No falloff with distance
Map Size: 512
Sharpness: 2.5
Quality: 5

1 x local light
Hue: 47.8
Saturation: 0.694
Intensity: 0.29
Falloff dist: 14.74
Shadow Map shadows
solid shadows
Squared falloff with distance
Map Size: 128
Sharpness: 4
Quality: 8

This one is a little darker than I would like. It reminds me of some of an old painting I saw somewhere, not the content, just the lighting.

I will continue updating this with various settings just to see how the scene reacts. Thanks for looking in.
Attachments
Test5.jpg
froo
Captain

Re: Various Lighting Tests

Post by froo »

yeah that's a very good book. :bananacheers:
Rhino169
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Rhino169 »

Wow very nice...It looks like some of the lighting you see in a Vermeer painting.

The only thing I see sort of odd...is the table vertical support appears to not have a shadow. The spindles on the chairs all have a light side (towards the window) and a dark side (away from the window) but under the table does not. Unless there is a light source I'm not seeing there.

Other than that..great work! :bananaguitar:
Last edited by Rhino169 on 28 Dec 2009, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Vermeer...one of my favorites!!!! One of these days I am going to try and do a Vermeer scene (without the people as I cannot do people, YET!). Thank you for the complement.

I see what you mean about the table support not having any shadow or light on it. I think that is because of the angle of the spot light coming through the window.

froo...yeah, this is a very good book. I also got another book on creating digital textures which I have yet to delve too deeply into.
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Rare times when I see a 3D image whose remember of a painting. Great Work! Some post processing on photoshop or GIMP to make an painting appearance and then you could make everybody believe that really is!
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

I just did, hope you don't mind.
Attachments
tahnoak.jpg
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Not at all, looks great. It certainly does have that Vermeer kind of feel to it. You just might find that "painting" in one of my scenes one day :D
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I thought Rembrandt. I'll have to look at Vermeer. Nearly all of your images have "great masters" look.

This will be an interesting and helpful thread. Everyone, me to, just does their own thing or uses the 3 point set up. Now we will see various methods. Tell a little about the theory of a set up when there is one.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

With this one I was going for a late afternoon feel. I wanted it to remain somewhat dark inside but there would certainly be enough sky light and sun light.

This was made with:
1 x Spot Light
1 x IBL

Spot Light Settings
Hue: 22.8
Saturation: .69
Intensity: 3.82
Shadow Map shadows: Solid shadows
Medium for the three next settings (256, 2.5, 5)

IBL Settings
IBL Resolution: 19
IBL Fuzziness: .14
Shad. Cutoff: .5
No checks in either box
Repeats both set to 1
Hue: 34.7
Saturation: .847
Intensity: .14
Do Not cast Shadows
No falloff with distance
Image used was one of my early daytime Medieval Village images (included). Not quite sure what impact this particular image had on the overall look of the render so will try others to see but wanted to put this one out there anyways.

All in all I like the way this one looks too. Next attempt will be for a full daytime lighting.

The lighting render is done completely in trueSpace model side with Lightworks renderer. I have not yet ported this over to Vue to see what the enhanced lighting capabilities can do.
Attachments
Medieval Village8_Day_GI.jpg
Test14.jpg