Tinkering with Alpha Masks

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Tinkering with Alpha Masks

Post by tahnoak »

I know everybody else on here knows how to use these things but I am just learning, yeah that's right, just learning how to create these and use them. I know....I know... that is learned right before Modeling 101 :) Told ya I was a noobie

Here is a screenie. It is not great but I can see how easy it is to work on dirtying up my textures now!!!
Attachments
Building1.jpg
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Tinkering with Alpha Masks

Post by Finis »

How about a mini-tutorial here (a few how to pics and brief explanation)?
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Finis wrote:How about a mini-tutorial here (a few how to pics and brief explanation)?
I can do that. I never thought I would be doing a tutorial..ha! Let me get the kids fed and off to bed then tonight I should be able to put something coherent together for those who may be interested or can point out different ways of doing what I was doing.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Finis wrote:How about a mini-tutorial here (a few how to pics and brief explanation)?

Put something together last night and this morning. Take a look.

http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... =13&t=1092
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Cleaning it up and working on multiple layers of masks in GIMP. All in all I think it is coming along nicely. I will add another building to the right a little offset with some different masks.

I may have to change this to a full WIP :D
Attachments
Building1b.jpg
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

This is great work, tahnoak. :bananacool2:

The textures look really well done. Are they all together on one texture map or have you applied them individually?

You should make an entire village and place it on Turbosquid.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Breech Block wrote:This is great work, tahnoak. :bananacool2:

The textures look really well done. Are they all together on one texture map or have you applied them individually?

You should make an entire village and place it on Turbosquid.
Thanks Breech, while I am still learning all the lingo, they are individual textural layers (2) on each object based on the tutorial that I made. That may answer your question better than I can :oops:
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

tahnoak wrote:Thanks Breech, while I am still learning all the lingo, they are individual textural layers (2) on each object based on the tutorial that I made. That may answer your question better than I can :oops:
No worries, perhaps I could have phrased the question better. What I meant to ask was have you fully UV mapped the object and thus are placing all these differnt textures (stone, wood, roof, windows) onto a single image (Texture Map). Or are you creating a load of individual textures and applying them all to the various faces of your model? If that makes more sense.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Breech Block wrote:
tahnoak wrote:Thanks Breech, while I am still learning all the lingo, they are individual textural layers (2) on each object based on the tutorial that I made. That may answer your question better than I can :oops:
No worries, perhaps I could have phrased the question better. What I meant to ask was have you fully UV mapped the object and thus are placing all these differnt textures (stone, wood, roof, windows) onto a single image (Texture Map). Or are you creating a load of individual textures and applying them all to the various faces of your model? If that makes more sense.
Hey, I thought that is what you meant and I had never thought to do that before but I am doing that now. This UVMapper on trueSpace is not the best but it is working pretty well. I was loading a bunch of individual textures but now I can see how this is much better.
Attachments
TextureMap3.jpg
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Still playing around with this. Learning how to model a bit more efficiently :D

I know there is a lot of uniformity in there that needs to be tweaked but I'm also working on composition and placement of objects for shadows and overall mood.
Attachments
Building2.jpg