Tinkering with Alpha Masks

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Tinkering with Alpha Masks

Post by tahnoak »

trueBlue wrote:
tahnoak wrote: 1) I have been able to re-create the displacement map in Vue but not really to my satisfaction in trueSpace but it is a b*tch exporting to Vue and then having Vue handle boolean objects gracefully unless I am just doing something wrong.
This should help:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! This will take some time to digest as I don't use the workspace side at all but maybe the principle is the same.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Okay here is a day/night comparison

Obviously still some things to clean up...
Attachments
Village4_Day.jpg
Village4.jpg
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Impressive Tahnoak! There is missing some ground but you should already know it. And the central area seems to empty, do you plan to put something there? Also you should look for some sky texture to put in the background. ;)

Keep the good work!
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

thanks a lot leonregis..

Yeah, I know about the missing terrain. Ultimately I want to port this to Vue and add some vegetation if I can. I am also considering adding an old fountain in that big open space. Maybe I can throw some old ivy vines on it as well.

The plan is to put a gray ominous sky with the scene for the daylight to show the impending storm.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Looking good.

Picky things:

The "apartment building" looks too thin to me. It is one room thick. Making it thicker would hide some of the sky though and you have plans that need enough sky showing.

Some of the ground looks like floating sheets of dirt.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

For me the buildnings don't look to thin. I belive these houses seems very old. Old city buildings here in Europe often are thin and built uppwards. I think this is a cultural thing. Maybee we in Europe are more used with thin houses.

We stayed one holyday at a little village in France. The old thin house we lived in had 4 floors and only one room at each floor. Good excercise to run up and down from the bedrooms at the top , bathroom in the middle and the kitchen in the bottom

These pictures are from the Nederlands village Amsterdam.
Attachments
Amsterdam 06.jpg
amsterdam.jpg
amsterdam.jpg (97.74 KiB) Viewed 5628 times
Last edited by Tommy on 14 Dec 2009, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
"Carpe diem"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

When I look at your pictures I think of a very old town with narrow alleys and streets. I don't think you need any sky at all.

I would like to see a alley in the right space were you now can see the sky. In the end of the aley there are a building. You can use the building you already have done. I think it would work well.

Some sort of building maybee a gable to the left which hides the sky.

This is just my thoughts and suggestions from my point of wiew.
"Carpe diem"
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Tommy...thanks for the suggestions. You got it exactly. It is supposed to be a very old town, maybe in the shadow of a large mountain back in the medieval times. I plan on having a little bit of sky visible along with another building (or two).

The scene is coming along nicely, so far, which has kept my interest. I find that if I go too long and can't capture what i am trying to do that I tend to move on to something else. The fact that I am still working on this one is pretty significant (for me anyways) :D

and Finis Thanks.. I know what you mean about the buildings being too thin. You meant from a depth perspective. They can be narrow buildings but they were not very deep. I have increased the depth of them which also removes some visible sky area.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

From Tommy's photo's thin buildings are ok. However, the photos show them with windows on the end, the thin side, and grouped close to each other. Maybe the thin building looks odd because it has no windows on the end and is not near other buildings.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

Looking good tahnoak! What may help nail this image down is something in it that really defines the time period. Perhaps you could turn the building on the extreme right into a blacksmiths or cooper. A blazing fire/brazier in that area of the image would also look good with the right lighting. HTH and keep up the good work.