Tinkering with Alpha Masks

tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: Tinkering with Alpha Masks

Post by tahnoak »

leonregis wrote:Dude this is amazing, how can I explain without say bad words? :mrgreen:
Outstanding. Which render did you use, and how you did the smoke, master? :worship:

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

leonregis...Christmas was fantastic..how about yours?

THANK YOU for the kind words..

The render is in Vue Pro Studio using Global Illumination. The smoke is the ambient lighting in the Atmospheric setting as well as the volumetric lighting from the windows.

I am going to try and simulate the same type of render with trueSpace either tonight or tomorrow and then will let you know what settings I used. Also, keep in mind that everything I do in trueSpace is on the Model side so you may have to translate what I give you into Workspace settings.

Thanks again...
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

Look very good tahnoak. With the modifications you have already suggested, I think this is going to be your best work to date.

If your looking for more improvements, I would hang some tools on hooks around the blacksmith's area for a more authentic look.

If your intending the early morning version as your final image, you could get away with using alpha planes for the tools instead of actually modeling them.

HTH.
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Breech..thank you and thanks for the suggestions. I honestly think this is my best stuff to date. It helps to have various tools to work with to enhance the scenes.

I finally have the lighting exactly how I want it. I toned down the hot coals in the blacksmith area but apparently not enough. I would like just a faint hint of orange/red and then in post production I will add some waffs of smoke rising.

I am working on the alpha planes for the tools. It's hard to find good tool images. I started modeling a hammer, which was easy enough but the tongs are pretty tricky as is the anvil. But I'll keep plugging away. I am almost at the homestretch for this one. I am looking forward to taking what I learned on this project and enhancing some of my older work to see what I can do.
Attachments
Medieval Village8_Dawn4.jpg
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

We had a really cool Christmas here!

Seems that Vue is a great tool, when I have the money I would buy. No problems I use both sides, workspace to basic model, modelside for the rest (Post modeling, lightning, texturing and rendering). :mrgreen:
Would be great if you do the tS version. I need to know more about that volumetric light, I know that tS also has it. And I'm looking for someway to do a fog in one of my scenes (I just stopped doing it because I'm stuck ate the fog creation).

Thank you
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Outstanding-er.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Okay folks, I could tinker with this until the cows come home but I think I am ready to put this one to bed.

I added some blacksmith tools (need to look close...models shown above) as well as an Anvil and some gentle smoke rising from the smoldering forge.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and support. It helps a lot.

I may come back and revisit this again in the future but for now, unless somebody comes back and points something out that is extremely obvious and incorrect, I am calling this scene complete.
Attachments
BlacksmithTools.jpg
Medieval Village8_Dawn_Final.jpg
Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

That's a great image tahnoak. Very impressive. I stumbled across this image whilst browsing the net the other day and thought you might be able to make use of it as a referece for texture work if you ever decided to revisit this image or perhaps help out with your inn scene.
Attachments
Medeival House.jpg
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Breech Block wrote:That's a great image tahnoak. Very impressive. I stumbled across this image whilst browsing the net the other day and thought you might be able to make use of it as a referece for texture work if you ever decided to revisit this image or perhaps help out with your inn scene.
Hey Breech...thanks. I am definitely going to try and infuse some of this detail into the Inn. Thanks for the assist.