Suspended Spiderweb City

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Suspended Spiderweb City

Post by Steinie »

It looks to me that the diameter of the rope is too big. I would
also suggest making each egg house slightly unique from one another.
Also with the location of the windows so high on the house, how do the
occupants see out?
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

If you really want to keep the file size down for instance Shared Space, use Material Instancing where ever possible. So if you have more then object with the same material, using Material Instancing will share one material.
tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by tahnoak »

Wow leonregis, I like this.

I agree with Steinie that the rope seems too large in diameter compared to the homes and the window (or skylight?) is too high for anyone/anything to see out of it. Other than that, maybe tweak the textures a little bit on each "house" to show individual aging on them.
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

I think the rope is too thick too, but if it is not how will support the house? I'll try to make it thinner...
The window is more for illumination than for decoration, anyway you can see a beautiful sky, you will understand it when I do the interior of the house as other scene.
Also is good make houses individual, like 4 types that are really similar but have some differences... like lamps, clothes line, etc...
But for shared spaces vertex I'll just adjust differently the textures...

tB, how can I do that?

Thanks!
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by theuns »

looking good so far leonregis, i like the look-and-feel style you have there :)

how did you make the mountains? they look good too...

suggestions:

also think the ropes are too thick but it depends if it is the style you are going for... here are some rope knots I made depending on how close you are and how much detail you have (added poly counters for each rope)
[attachment=1]Rope knots.jpg[/attachment]

the corners and edges of the house itself like the door and window frames and the top, seem to sharp, perhaps the fillet tool will work well to smooth it over...
[attachment=0]fillet tool icon.jpg[/attachment]

otherwise, perhaps some window blinds and a little roof over the door?
Attachments
fillet tool icon.jpg
fillet tool icon.jpg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
Rope knots.jpg
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
Tommy
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tommy »

The house looks like a tropical fruit for me. You are planning to have the city hanging between the rocks. It's like fruits hanging from the trees. Have you thougth of a fruitish look at the whole scenery. An orange, apple, banana, melon and so on as housing.

The house and all seems very organic (It has natural smooth forms). Maybee the windows also needs some more soft organic form.

I believe they are at the second floor and there you have a nice wiew of the suroundings from there.
"Carpe diem"
Saul
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Saul »

Hello leonRegis
I love your concept drawings, they have great delicacy, there is something 'spidery' about the line.
The 3D versions seem clunky in comparison but then 3D doesn't really have the expressive immediacy of drawing.
carlpatti
Chief Petty Officer

Post by carlpatti »

hi leonRegis,

i think saul hit upon something in his post this morning. i think he is right - something has been lost in the transition from 2d to 3d - the spidery feel that your drawings originally had.

you asked earlier how the houses would be supported if you make the ropes thinner. maybe this might help... from wikipedia... "the tensile strength of spider silk is greater than the same weight of steel and has much greater elasticity." in other words, the houses could hang in a very thin, spiderweb type framework that would be much closer to your original drawings. for me, the ropes seem to weigh down your original vision. just my opinion.. hope it's ok - don't want to offend - i just love the original drawings and want to see the project come to life!

patti :D
theuns
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by theuns »

you could also use alpha maps of spider webs and put them on the tied points for extra support, then it also looks a lot more like spider webs....
theuns - tSer since 2000
.:| http://theunsfvo.cgarena.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
.:| http://bluestarcreations.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |:.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

How long I don't post here, need to move on.

@Theuns: Thank you very much! Those mountains are made of a cylinder which I modeled with several edge loops, moving each edge to make things aleatory. I'll make the ropes of the house thinner but not so much. Really cool knots Theuns! I would use the 214...

@Tommy: Thank you too! Yeah I think that my sub-conscious have though this way because the rich houses that I haven't designed yet but are in the first conceptual drawing (really small) looks like a banana. :mrgreen: The window is more to illumination and to see the city above. I'll do the inside house but will make as a separately scene.

@Saul: Thanks, I felt it a little to, but I don't know I could do it better and I think that the overall look would not change too much. I think that the spidery in those strings are the crossed lines. ;)

@Patti: Thanks, of course I wouldn't get offended, criticism is always welcome and attended! As I said before, I altered the rope diameter and also said that don't know how to make the 3D looks like the 2D, so if people can they should say to me how.

@Theuns: hmmm.... :roll: Will test, but don't wait much from it. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see what I've done lately
1,5 Months of of work = Almost Nothing

''That thing'' which holds the city (drawing in the first page) is 3D now, here is:
support_01.jpg
Ropes now, makes the basic form.
Some parts are a little crooked. I'll fix
Some parts are a little crooked. I'll fix
''Streets'' of the city, they have three sizes: Express are large and big, made with trunks, connect big distances; Medium are medium :roll: made with boards and are around important buildings and constructions to connect them to the Express; Thin are really thin :roll: and dangerous because you could fall made with small board and are localized around houses and far areas.
It's just a composition that doesn't makes part of the city. I did to show all kind of street (We stand on the medium which are connected to the thin that is with the express.<br />That should be smoke but looks like a sloppy waterfall. I NEED TO DOMAIN SMOKE =(
It's just a composition that doesn't makes part of the city. I did to show all kind of street (We stand on the medium which are connected to the thin that is with the express.
That should be smoke but looks like a sloppy waterfall. I NEED TO DOMAIN SMOKE =(
But then come up problems. Everything is HD so the scene will be really big (in my calculus 300 mega) :shock: and then I tS don't render for some reason, also the tS gets really slow. I think that I'll need to abandon the HD Vertex :cry: :cry:

Cya
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi