WW2 Entrenchment after Battle

LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Re: MMC Aug/Spt Outpost - WW2 Entrenchment after Battle

Post by LeonRegis »

I'll draw the scene and post here, maybe tomorrow... The weapon will be in first plane of course, I'll not show bodies even if that what are left after a battle. I will show burn uniforms, broken helmets, pierced sandbags with sand flowing out, things like that... Unexploded grenades ;)

Thanks Theuns, I'll try to almost finish the model today... I need to do a Search of History to school, guess which is the subject :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi

nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: MMC Aug/Spt Outpost - WW2 Entrenchment after B

Post by nigec »

theuns wrote:very good start so far, too spite not being a good day...

i've got a kind of writers block at the moment, i guess you could call it modelers block! ;)
I know that feelin! I don't think I've done anything constructive model wise for 6 weeks

its coming on nicely leonregis

Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

Great start so far. Always wanted to do a scene like this myself. As for the rifle, it is a bit hard to see how you are going about this as the pics are a bit small. Personally, depending on how prominent the model will be in your scene, I would either do a very basic box model and just texture it with a colour photo of the one you are using as a reference. Or, if its a "Hero" model, and your intending to apply SDS, then I would make it in 2 distinct parts. The wooden part, the stock, grip etc which is known collectivly as the "furniture" and the metal parts. This splitting process would allow easier control of the level of SDS and also allow the application of a procedural shaders rather than spending days on UV mapping and texture creation. HTH.

LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

I'm back! 8-)
I've been away from my projects because of my search and school. So now I've done some progress at the M1 Garand, the model is almost done just need the finishing touches then I will go to the texturing, that I'll be the most difficult part.
I Bring three images showing the model, isn't totally ready, just need small details that will make a huge difference.
Breech I'll be sincere to you... I don't understand anything of what you said, really sorry. I'm very new to the good texture world, and I'm needing this now, so I ask for your and others help for the texturing part of this weapon.

This is my first weapon... of course it's a illustration and not represents entirely the M1 Garand, I used a blue print and some images and this version usually don't appears at games, so maybe you don't recognize... I would like to know what you feel when you look at it, do you think: Ow a weapon! or WW2 American weapon? or That's the M1... Just to know if the models transmit what I want.

I will now start the helmet, grenade, cothes...

Cya

PS: Images without SDS, some of the reasons of I don't put SDS it's because Breech talk about something of it, so I'm with fear and blow up the model, I'll wait his reply.
Attachments
Model, compare.
Model, compare.
Wire
Wire
FPS vision of the model
FPS vision of the model
M1_FPS1.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

nice modeling work leonregis..

I'm looking forward to seeing this within the context of a scene.

Breech Block

Post by Breech Block »

leonregis wrote:Breech I'll be sincere to you... I don't understand anything of what you said...
Lol, don't worry, we've all been there. It would take ages for me to explain all of that and take a lot more time than I have right now. I'd also need to get some reference pics and build a couple of models to show you more clearly what I mean. I might have some spare time over the weekend and may be able to post something up then.

In the meanwhile: A hero model is one that is going to be seen very clearly by the camera/audience. It is a Hollywood term for the identification and production of props. For example, when they make a huge great big battle scene in a war movie, only the soldiers closest to the camera (ie the movies big star heroes) would have real, working (ie blank firing) guns, whilst all the actors in the background would have non-working props. All this is obviously designed to save cost. In a way, you need to do the same, but your costs come not in dollars and cents, but in polygons. Every polygon you add costs you in computing power. Add a lot and your scene will become sluggish and difficult to navigate. Add too many and your scene wont render at all. So if an object, such as your rifle, is only going to be seen in the mid/background, you wouldn't put much detail on it. Not unless you intended to publish or print the work at some huge resoloution.

A procedural shader is a process where you can "paint" an objecy without having a texture map. Good texture maps are hard to make and take a lot of time to do properly. If the item is fairly big, you also get the problem where you can see the texture repeat itself. A procedural shader doesn't use an image, but calculates the texture to use via an algorithm. The advantage of this means you could paint a model of the great wall of china and no 2 stones would look the same. Good procedural textures also allow you to adjust some of the settings. So if the shader paints bricks for example, you could adjust the colour of the bricks, how old they looked, the gap between them, how often cracks appear etc. etc.

HTH.

LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks Tahnoak, hope finish it before the challenge ends...

Hey Breech, yeah this will be a Hero Model and others will appear at second plane but I could do they without SDS...
About procedural shaders, I know a bit of it... I would like to know if I can find shaders to create wood, scratch metal or things like that.
If anyone have a top view of a M1 Garand please post here I need because the top shape isn't correct.

Thanks

LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

4 min modeled helmet, something is wrong, needs more modeling... Looks like the German helmet what is wrong?

Cya
Attachments
hel_p1.jpg

LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Helmet problem solved... I think he is finished, just need some details and if anyone could help to do like this:

I don't know how to do that ''net'' around the helmet.
Now I'm doing the grenade, but before it I already have a grenade but is in cartoon style so I think that I'll need to do it again.
See the images
Attachments
Grenade
Grenade
gre_p2.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
hel_p2w.jpg
Fast Texturized
Fast Texturized

Karthogen

Post by Karthogen »

could you duplicate the helmet make it a little bigger and then with a net texture and alpha map make it see through?

Or

Perhaps the tutorial Prodigy did on his shopping cart model in the SMC could be of some help to make the rope.