You can see here how shadow is important: :bananadevil: :mrgreen:
Attachments
shadow.jpg
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Re: WW2 Entrenchment after Battle

Post by LeonRegis »

I love shadows, for me it's what really gives the 3D perception, besides perspective of course!
But I don't know what is happening, and I even didn't understand what you said before... what is map shadow? explain please. :roll:

Thanks
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
tahnoak
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by tahnoak »

marcel wrote:You can see here how shadow is important: :bananadevil: :mrgreen:

Absolutely priceless!!!!!!! :bananadevil:
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

leonregis wrote: But I don't know what is happening, and I even didn't understand what you said before... what is map shadow? explain please. :roll:
right click (red circle on top) to open the setting of shadow. On shadow type, choose ray or map. The others setting are for map shadow only. Map size and quality affect the render (balance between quality and time to render). For a best image choose size 2000 and quality hight.
now you can do the shadow:
Use two parrallel infinity light. One orange (color of the sun) with ray shadow and one blue (or color of the sky) with map shadow. why?
to color the shadow. The color of the shadow is the complementary color of the light. The areas illuminated of the objects receive both colors that mix. This mixture is neutral as a white light. But the shadow map and ray are different and do not overlap exactly. The edges are colored. If the light "ray" is more intense than the light "map", the shadow will have the complementary color of light "ray". The light of the sun is orange then the shadow will be blue.
now you can setting the intensity and the color of "ray" light and "map" light then choose the sharpness for the map to smooth the shadow. Last step: do another infinity light (with neutral color) with map shadow and low sharpness to simulate a global illumination. This light need to have the same direction than the view of the cam and a low intensity.
All that seem complex to explain but when you understand that, you can do good render with only 3 lights and the render is very fast. I use that kind of light for animation and save a lot of time.
Attachments
light.jpg
shadow.jpg
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

leonregis wrote:Thanks Tahnoak your comment is one of the most helpful for the scene...
1) You're right... fixed
2) Adjusted the scele
3) You are right, maybe I need to create some objects that represents other nations involved, but for composition 1 I'll keep the flag...
4) I don't know but is strange, for some reason I think that the light aren't casting shadows, I'm using Noon Light of the library, I just modified the angle and the color a little.
5) I didn't understand it completely, I soiled it a little in my last pic, do you saw?

I really appreciate this comment, thank you very much! :worship:
---
Finis your comment also is great and really improved the scene, thank you.

I make the pole less thick and I agree with you that it looks like a toy before, but I was not sure if was the flag. I create a low-poly depot, where the flag now stay.
The DOF is to strong, I agree. Now I make it a little more smooth, and how can I make something like fog/smoke... to looks like a low mist?
Will work on more objects for the next composition.
---------------------------
Ok I had the opportunity to work slowly this weekend, I fixed some problems and put some improvements that Tahnoak and Finis suggested, thanks again, now I'll work in the final details... like the sky and some foot prints and hand prints, I did some tests with it and the hand prints is almost invisible so I don't think that I'll add it, but the footprints are on the way...

As I said before, I create a low-poly depot (Finis suggestion), an broke vehicle, wire and barricades (Both Breech suggestion), worked on the scale ( Tahnoak and Finis suggst).

Tons of suggest are always welcome :D
You are quite welcome. I feel bad when I don't have the time to give a lot of feedback on people's work.

Definitely better contrast between the butt of the rifle and the dirt. I would say do the same thing to the helmet. It stands out as too green against the foxhole that it is perched along.

Good idea putting the flag with the outpost and I think some low fog would be a good idea too.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks Tahnoak... just to understand. You think that the dirt on the weapon and the helmet are too dark compared with the ground? Or that the Helmet is too green.

Sorry... :|
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

Rifle and ground look good. The helmet is too green compared to the dirt. I can see the red, which I assume is to symbolize blood but there should also be some dirt shading on it as well.
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Thanks Marcel, I'm sure that it will help... will give it a try soon.
Thanoak you mean something like this?

Maybe I have exaggerated... :lol:

Thanks
Cya
Attachments
hel_p4.jpg
hel_p4.jpg (52.37 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
tahnoak

Post by tahnoak »

leonregis wrote:Thanks Marcel, I'm sure that it will help... will give it a try soon.
Thanoak you mean something like this?

Maybe I have exaggerated... :lol:

Thanks
Cya

Yes, that is perfect because there is no way a bloody helmet is still going to be intact
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Going to revisit it and really finish. All phrases have a try in the begin:
Pick some high res textures for the dirt
Fix the dirt
Put a good sky there
Add a fog there
Scale some objects and even change some positions...
Shadows

It's pretty much it, let's see if I can do that to finally finish it.