Mars Mission - Animation Contest 2#

LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Re: Mars Mission - Animation Contest 2#

Post by LeonRegis »

Hey guys, I'm finishing the animation but I'll not be able to render in the time, so I'm wondering if is possible I post it on the next contest (if the subject allows, like a free subject or rocket subject)?

And Marcel, when it's sky horizon what I should do? You method works?

TA
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Try rendering at a smaller size or 15 frames per second. You can do a high quality one later.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

leonregis wrote:And Marcel, when it's sky horizon what I should do? You method works?
when the vertical lines are Parallel, it means that the camera is parallell to the ground and then the horizon line is perpendicular to the vertical. To find out where is the line horizon, simply extend the lines of the scene who are parrallels with the ground and themselves. When the verticals converge upwards or downwards (cam not parallell to the ground), the principle remains the same but with an extra set (not the goal here) . There are different rules of geometry useful to know which enable quick visual analysis. It is possible to evaluate any angle, circle, size,etc...on a photo with only your eyes. In a second of observation, I can say that it is physically impossible for the sky falls below the horizon line in your scene. But in other view, it can be possible ;)
Attachments
line.jpg
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

I didn't post all progress I did on this 16 days, so when I finish the rendering I'll.

The animation is ready, I just need to render... what is taking much time and I hope finish the rendering before the 23:59 on day 15 as I think that this is the last day and not the day of the poll, right?

I'm rendering on two computers but mostly on one, the other is rendering 6 hours per day while this one is 24... and I'm trying to avoid use it, I just use to check the rendering, the forums and news and just it. Time to dip in books.

Thanks for all support also being provided on the TechForum!
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

Any problem if I use Avatar soundtrack on my video? I mean, I'll give credit but probably it's illegal but they can't do anything, right? Just take my video off youtube in the max.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

leonregis wrote:Any problem if I use Avatar soundtrack on my video? I mean, I'll give credit but probably it's illegal but they can't do anything, right? Just take my video off youtube in the max.

In the US your use of a small portion of the music probably falls under "fair use". That allows some use of intellectual property for satire, brief quotes, some academic use, reviews and commentary, news, etc. Giving credit would be required to make a fair use claim. Different laws in different counties of course. If it is not legal then the owners probably wouldn't care and would see it as free publicity but they could sue you if they want to.

Whether they find out, or can do anything about it, or often if it is legal or not, has nothing to do with it being right or wrong. But you don't seem to be concerned about that ... only if you can get away with it. I'd say morally/ethically it is not saintly but is OK. It does violate the owner's right to control their property, which is wrong, but we know they reserve that right for purposes of making money and your use does no harm to that goal.

Side story: There is a story that Sony electronics sued a woman named Sony for trademark violation. She called her restaurant "Sony's Restaurant". The legend says that since her business had nothing to do with electronics she could not be prevented from using her own name in her business name.
Last edited by Finis on 15 Feb 2010, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

So I can use quietly or I need to be aware of the consequences?

It's just that for me the first and second paragraph are just too contradictory.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Yes. The real world is often like that ... contradictions ... uncertainties ... practicalities ... ideals ... compromises.

Overall I'd say it is OK to use it (see updated post). There are legal, moral, and practical issues which don't all point the same conclusion. That's real life.

Legally: If the copyright notice they give says, "All rights reserved" then you can only legally use it under laws like "fair use" or with explicit permission from the owner. I'm no expert but I think this kind of use is "fair use" in the US.

Practically: You Tube might take it off. Who knows what they will decide? The copyright owners are unlikely to find out or to care much if they do. Although they could get you if it is illegal, probably they would just demand that you stop using it. So you'd probably suffer no practical harm from using it.

Morally: To use property when the owner has said not to is wrong. It violates their control of their property. Even from me, a staunch defender of property rights, you would be a Saint to worry about that for this type of use. You would do no practical harm to the owner by using the music this way, you mean no harm, and your action would even help with free publicity. So that balances out to "OK. Not perfect but a good guy can do this".
LeonRegis
Captain

Post by LeonRegis »

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSF-vFdJa1k&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSF-vFdJa1k&hl ... 9&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

This is the animation that I submitted in this contest but it don't represent the final version, since this is a mission to mars and in the animation the rocket even didn't lift off. So I'll fix the problems in that scene and then do the other scenes, to then render at a higher quality for at least one month, because I know how slow it is, I want to render next time at 640x480, 3x and high quality so it will take an eternity.

I'll be back to the development after day 23, when the MMC ends and after that I won't start any other project, or enter any other contest.

Day 23 I'll also post my plans.

Thanks
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

It is a good start. about the time to render, i remember to have this problem some years ago and the problem was the sky: when you use raycast the time to render depend also of the size of the scene (because the lenght of the ray). The problem was the setting of the sky. If the sky have a constant shader, no cast shadow and no receive shadow the time to render was better (3 or 4 time more speed). maybe it is not your problem but try this.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr