Quadcopter

MikomDude
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Quadcopter

Post by MikomDude »

A client has hired me to re-design their quadcopter:
iso.png
It had to be more futuristic, feature a heads up display and be an enclosed cabin. Fitting within a 3x3x2 build area.

My first redesign was more experimental, trying to stay true to their original design:
render v1 - 2.png
render v1 - 3.png
After realizing their original design already wasn't going to work, height-wise (the proportions were all off), I ended up making a more elongated design:
render v2 - 1.png
render v2 - 7.png
render v2 - 9.png
Attachments
anim v1.png
MikomDude
Captain

Re: Quadcopter

Post by MikomDude »

Frame:
render v2 - 10.png

HUD:
render v2 - 3.png

I would like to point out the throttle and joystick configuration like this wasn't my choice, I would have preferred a central joystick/throttle set up but the client specifically needed it like this.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

You are living the dream! Making money doing CG. Good to see your design ability appreciated too. Design in the sense of art and style.

The design looks good while also being practical. Your closed sided copter protects the pilot from the elements outside and dust etc. churned up by the rotors during take off and landing. That turns this copter into a semi-practical vehicle. The original open sided one would just be a toy. I wonder about the extra weight of the enclosure though.

Of course, great CG skills.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Thanks Finis! and while I'm not making enough to call it making a living, I'm hoping that will be the reality in the near future!

As for practicality, yeah I think the fuselage will add a bit extra weight but if made from lightweight materials that won't be much of a problem. Batteries on the other hand... very heavy and I wonder if they'll be able to fit enough of them on for it to fly longer than 5 minutes.

The client wasn't very specific about what batteries they'd use or how many, so that's up to them to figure out I guess. I would say, put a small fuel cell behind the pilot and move the batteries under the seat that way maybe they'll get some more mileage out of the craft. There's enough space.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Also re-designed the HUD (the old image was actually from my old Athena model from 2011) :P

Cockpit:
Cockpit View.png
(I know the foot rests look a bit shit and if I'd had more time I would have re-designed them as well)

HUD:
Hud Display.png
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

quadrocopters are not very efficient, but i like your designs, they look awesome
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Thanks bitkar! and yeah, although I think the reason people like quadcopters is because they're quite easy to control, as you can more easily get a computer to handle the stabilization purely by throttling the some of the electromotors.

Also mechanically they're a lot simpler, just take a look at my old NH90 rotor assembly:
This rotor assembly has more individual components than the whole quadcopter.
This rotor assembly has more individual components than the whole quadcopter.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

you are right... its simplier and maybe more cool looking.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

@bitkar Actually I must admit I probably prefer good old helicopters as well, or those sawblade hovercraft from the Incredibles:

:P

Still the client wanted a quadcopter and I like anything that flies so...

They also wanted a front mounted camera:
With Camera 1.png
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Looks cooler in each new picture.

A camera drone! Just bigger and more expensive. Movie makers used to get aerial footage from helicopters with movie cameras mounted on them. If this copter can fly for 15 minutes then in some cases it could be better for filmmakers than a drone and cheaper than a regular helicopter + pilot.

Pilot's knees together looks uncomfortable. Better promo or advertisement with a comfortable pilot.

The client no doubt plans total battery but: diesel-electric system, like trains, could be good for this. A small engine to drive a generator that powers the electric motors. That removes some of the mechanical complexity and increases range and maybe the weight it can carry. Noise. All electric might have a pleasant near-silent flying experience.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker