Potpourri March 2018 challenge WIP

RAYMAN
Captain

Re: Potpourri March 2018 challenge WIP

Post by RAYMAN »

Just downloaded Prorender for Blender! Its free and pretty awsome! Played with it yesterday! Only flaw is there is no direct conversion of Blender materials just of cycles materials! Which lets me need to take one more unnecessary step... !
Conversion from Blender to Cycles and then from Cycles to Prorender nodes!
But its blindingly fast and quite nicely looking and best of all its free and uses 2 cards simultaniously one even cl and one cuda!
Plus ita hybrid gpu and cpu...so no more running out of memory!
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Prorender looks great. Will definitely try it. Eevee will be well integrated with Blender someday but it isn't out yet and Prorender is probably better.

Why the Blender internal step? Start with cycles or if possible make your materials for Prorender from the beginning when you know you'll use it. Well, I'll find out when I try it.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Why? Quite simple because I do my modeling in Moi3d or in a special houses builder...and then in Sketchup! Thats 1000x faster..plus its faster to texture and to render! In Sketchup 95% of the parts are instances..and with the Sketchup plugin which is also free they also come in as instances! That way you can build sets that are 100x bigger with the same hardware footprint!!!
They come into Blender and texture inside Blenderengine but not in cycles texture!
So I have to run the converter skript to cycles! Which isnt a big deal! I have to open Blender again..or a differnt version of Blender and run the Prorender converter! Everything still 100x faster the building fro scratch inside Blender!
In Sketchup Kitbashing realy makes sense..they remain instances..and can be all retextured and changed in one go!!!!!
Its also the best way to use TS in the workflow!
Export to Sketchup!
By the way Sketchup is free for personal work!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Aw. I can't try Prorender now because it needs Windows 10 to use Nvidia cards. I'll try it whenever I get win 10 or if it can use win 8.1 in the future. I like the all-in-one nature of Blender but "jack of all trades -- master of none". Cycles is cool but an Iray level renderer for Blender would be nice and with its add on/plug in Prorender can do that. I'll need eevee or Draisian realtime workflow for speed on some things.

Here is a test of the scene in Iray/Daz. It is the glass, water, and shadow catcher I'm comparing. The cycles renders above haven't nearly enough samples or bounces to compare render times or overall image quality. The Iray render has very good water and glass using the preset materials. I've seen good water done with cycles so that may be a matter of me learning the material nodes for it. It was rendered in one pass, one image, no compositing or background plane. I like the brighter hdri in cycles. There is probably a way to adjust that in both programs. The cycles glass had little reflection. Iray glass does.

This rendered in 12 minutes in Iray. I tried various combinations of hardware with Iray and a simple scene. (GTX 1060 3gb, GT 640, CPU) Usually the 640 runs the screen and the 1060 is free for renders. Adding the CPU and/or the 640 is slower than just the 1060. I didn't try CPU only.
Attachments
GlassFountain_Iray_forum.jpg
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

looks good! Iray is also very good!
Yeah it takes some testing to get things done well inside Blenders gpu rendering! Have you downloaded some materials..there is some awsome free stuff around!
try this!

http://blendermada.com/materials/detail/93-reflection/
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

@Rayman, Thanks! I watch videos and read tutorials for materials but I should have thought that there would but sources of them around. I'll start collecting a library of them. I'll also learn from the pre-made ones.