Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Tracktor Fall - WIP

Post by Draise »

Tracktor Fall - WIP

Update_01

WIP

Working on a little farm scene I have in mind - also decided to learn modeling in Sofitmage to see if SDS modeling was any faster or efficient. So far… my trueSpace skills really knock this one out of the stadium.. because it took me like 3 hours to model this thing. But I can see great potential in the operators of SI and the procedural like way it handles geometry. I love it.
I have all my references ready, and it's a still image.
Draise
Captain

Re: Tracktor Fall - WIP

Post by Draise »

Tracktor WIP_02

Working on the front axle and stearing/suspension mechanism. I'm really going liberal with details, and I will add bolts and things later. My modeling skills have sped up a bit, though still really slow another 5 hours put into this. I should work on paying things, eh?!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

You need more reference photos!

Any progress on this? Is likely you'll be done soon? This challenge going on forever is preventing the other forum member from participating in challenges.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Yes I have progressed. When I get back from hiking I'll post more.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Tracktor Fall - WIP 03

Worked on the steering mechanism and the gearbox/frame. Also started a technique for adding bolts. In the process I’ve learnt how to use the display values, xray and different features for my prefered workflow. I have also streamlined my hotkeys to be a bit more.. less hand movement over the keyboard for modeling (meanwhile keeping other shortcuts I have learnt for other workflows).

I’m almost tempted to copy such a workflow/shortcut system to trueSpace and Blender.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Tracktor Fall - WIP_04

I did a tutoring tutorial with MC_Axe and he taught me how to model the chair to the bottom. Very cool tricks. So I tried to continue the idea up the top with the back part of the chair. It was nice to take a break and model them.. little by little!

Sorry for taking so long. If you guys want, finish the competition and I'll keep on this model little by little in my free time (which is little).
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Definitely finish this!

About the challenge, well it would be good to wrap it up. This is obviously not a good project for a challenge since with its large scope and little free time it will take forever. So I'm going to start the poll on Jan. 31.

You could make an entry with what you have and then finish it as an independent project (hint hint people, how about more independent non-challenge projects?). The incomplete tractor model could be abandoned, rusty, parts missing. It could be at a tractor mechanic's shop being repaired so partially disassembled. Devise a scene so only the finished parts are showing. Lot's of possibilities.

Future CSB's could do a speed modeling challenge occasionally. They are fun and Draise and others with little free time could participate since the entry would have to be done in a short time.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Tracktor Fall - WIP_05

I've since worked a little while being at work on what I really like to work on - learning new modling tricks with something only for myself! Creativity! Study! Practice! it's great fun.

With this one, I've decided to block out the main shapes before adding details and modeling all the minor little parts. I think if I have the main shape sorted the rest should fall into place quicker.

I must say, once you get the hang of the dynamic approach to modeling in Softimage, you feel powerful.

Oneday I shall get more into Houdini, Fabric Engine and/or Unreal...
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

Very nice Draise