Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by trueBlue »

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Thanks. Here is a bvh tutorial that tells about retargeting and some add-on bvh tools too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux959so49Xk

Unlikely I'll get my Christmas animation done by Christmas. That's ok. Learning to animate in Blender is part of the project but using bvh has many benefits and will be part of future projects.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The Christmas video will probably be for Christmas in July. Trying BVH. So far the character gets twists and is reshaped in unexpected ways with retargeting. So far nothing fixes that well enough. There is little information about fixing it. I am using imported Daz characters. I see that BVH works well with MakeHuman and rigify rigs. I tried bvh's that were fixed for Daz but no better luck.

Attaching the mesh directly to the BVH skeleton produced the results in the video. That loses Daz's fancy weight painting and the clothes don't work. I want to use the cloth simulation on them anyway. That is ok for some things but I'll learn to fix the problems and attach the bvh to existing rigs.

https://vimeo.com/308360543/e5a95cf984
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

What is it? Blender you are exporting to???
If yes ..with the clothing you need to enable soft body dynamics!
If the rig doesnt come in look into the naming sheme!
There is a lot that can go wrong...!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Snow! Icicles! New gas pipes and stuff have not been inspected yet so no gas yet. At best inspection will be Monday. Couple of electric heaters make it ok.
Attachments
Snow.jpg
icicles.jpg
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Nice House Finis! Good luck! Yup know that problem..have same thing in my aunties flat..she died 2 years ago..in there with electric and my coat!!!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Icicles on my house. Other house is neighbors.
RAYMAN wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 08:23There is a lot that can go wrong
You can say that again. Mocap gives you the natural movement but it can need tuning and fixing. In the future I'll rig characters in Blender using mocap friendly ways.

Here is Jedi Tevu with a cloth simulation kilt.

https://vimeo.com/309015474/0d7f73ecc9

The kilt is not weight painted or controlled by the armature (rig, bones) with one exception -- it is constrained to one bone and otherwise reacts to movement and collisions with the cloth sim.

Blender 2.79 Basics of cloth sim clothes that I learned.
- Model the clothing in a low poly way.
- Make the character mesh and any other objects the cloth will touch be collision objects in the Physics panel.
- Position the clothing on the character.
- Give the clothing mesh a Child Of constraint tying it to an appropriate bone in the armature.
- Set a vertex group from the clothing mesh that should follow the bone and not participate in the cloth simulation. Set that group as pinned in the sim panel. For this kilt that is the waist band.
- Add a Subdivision Surface modifier to cloth mesh. For high resolution cloth put it above the cloth sim in the modifier stack and use more divisions for the final sim. For low res it can go after or be omitted.
- Optionally add thickness with Solidify and avoid geometry intersections with Corrective Smooth modifiers.
- Set the cloth simulation parameters as needed to produce the desired results.
- Play the animation in the timeline to run the simulation. It will be slow the first time through.

It is necessary to have some time being still in a pose before the action starts to let the cloth settle. He still teleports from the T pose to the first mocap pose. I don't know why. A smooth transition would be better for cloth.

The cloth simulation collision and self collision parameters have distance factors. They are in Blender Units and small values cause errors. Larger values can make the cloth hover or not hug the character closely. Solution: make the character larger, around 7 BU tall, so larger distance settings allow the cloth to look close to the character.

I had some strange artifacts rendering with Cycles but closing and reopening the file fixed that.

The sim ran at about 0.7 frames per second on my AMD FX8320. The Cycles rendered video took about 5.7 seconds per frame with my GTX 1060 3GB.
pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 »

Your doing a great Job so far. Looking sweet :bananathumb:
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

nice snow..i thought you live in new mexico. You have more snow than we have :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Finis that looks awsome! A little gay..😉😂..but 3d technically awsome! Yup! its all a question of trying things out!
Mocap is very cool! If you look into ipi software there are even was to capture mocap just with one or two webcams!!
Not to expensive..for the quality of animation you can get inside Blender!